Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tablet for post processing

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Tablet for post processing

I am thinking of purchasing a tablet for post processing,but the amount of variations you can buy is quite extensive.
    Taking into account the most are geared for graphic designers and have features I will never use,can anyone suggest a model that would suite my needs as I will only be processing for myself and competition entries in my local club.Budget wise I am looking at about 100 euros.
    I believe the control you have with a tablet is far superior to a mouse.Interested in hearing from some people who use tablets.

Thanks
    Des

Re: Tablet for post processing

Des,

I have a Monoprice, it is great for editing!! It was 53$ (US) shipped to my house. I did a review on it here I am running windows 7 and have had to reinstall the drivers twice since ownership; other than that it has been a great help on editing.

Ryo

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Thanks Ryo,interesting reading.Will check out the make and compare to Wacom.

Des

Real Name
    J stands for John

Is it compatible with XP? Amazon advert I read didn't say.

Real Name
    John

I bought a Hanvon recently and they are rather well made the Artmasters in particular. It has the same sort of features as the better Wacom tablets. I bought mine from a German seller on ebay listed as B grade, may have bits missing etc. He did mention sending it back for a full refund if not happy and other reassurances, A fully boxed sand ealed Artmaster turned up. He only lists on the German Ebay site. These are a popular make in Germany. One agent in the UK as well that does discount some of the range,

One point that may be worth considering is the tablets aspect ratio. Ideally it needs to match the screen. If not they sort themselves out but x - y movement the tablet are scaled to suit on the screen. I'm running mine on Linux so can't be totally sure but there seems to be an option on the windows software to map part of the tablet to the screen. That should get round that if it proves to be a problem.

A tablets biggest gain over a mouse is that the movement scaling is much slower than a mouse. My mouse moves from one corner to the opposite one with about 40mm movement on a 23in screen. The distance on my tablet is about 220mm making the cursor a lot easier to control when needed. I also bought a Cherry compact keyboard to make space for the tablet. I wish that they had made the key pitch exactly the same as a normal keyboard rather than slightly less as it would still be very small. I'm more or less used to it now.

-

-