Thread: First shots with new DSLR

First shots with new DSLR

Hi,

After months of research, I finally purchased a Nikon D3100 DSLR, and this was a big step up for me from my Kodak EasyShare camera. I am still becoming aquainted with the camera, but I thought that I would share some of my first shots with it.

I used the 18-55 mm lens that was included with the camera, and all of the shots were developed from the RAW format in PSE.

All comments are welcome .

Thanks for viewing,

- Jacob

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: First shots with new DSLR

You must be delighted.

First two photographs good exposure, focus, tonal range and white balance so the camera seems to work. Light sky areas are always a problem and the one just above the cap in the second photo would be better cloned out. In the bird shot the camera was taking an exposure that included lots of sky so the bird has been under exposed. If you do not want a simple silhouette of the bird either use + exposure compensation or take the exposure before you include the sky and apply exposure lock. Not sure what will be easiest on the new camera but the manual should tell you.

I assume the last photo is a crop rather than a stitched shot. Overall the exposure looks fine as the sky has retained some late day tones. If it was mine I would lighten up the shadows.

Real Name
    Phil Page

You'll enjoy the D3100. I had a couple of colleagues last year who asked for some input on what DSLR to buy as a step up - I recommended the 3100 or Canon equivalent and they both went for the 3100 in the end. It's a great little camera and you'll get a lot of use and learning from it.

pnodrog,

Thank you for your comments. The white balance for all of the shots was set in Adobe Photoshop Elements, not in the camera, although the camera does okay with the white balance presets. Good eye on the light spots above the cap on the second shot . I didn't notice them.

I knew the bird would be silhouetted when I took the picture, but I still liked it.

You are right, the last one was a crop, and I agree that the shadows could be a little lighter.

Thank you for your feedback.

- Jacob

dubaiphil,

I tried the Canon T3 as well, but I thought the D3100 felt better in my hands, so that is why decided to go with it.

- Jacob

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Very good over all for your first photos with a new camera I know you must be happy and it only gets better.

Real Name
    Jason

Ah. I have to say I'm a bit jealous of you. That step up from point n shoot to dslr is so exciting. Have fun with it try new things. I don't know if you already have one but a tripod will open a whole new world of possibilities. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me, always good to have another Nikon shooter.

In the second, I bet you appreciate the narrower DoF available with the larger sensor DSLR over a (smaller sensor) P&S.

I like the non-central placement ofthe car in #4.

Cheers,