Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Old Cleveland Lighthouse

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

The Old Cleveland Lighthouse

After a lot of clear sky lately we finally had some clouds yesterday and I decided to head to Cleveland Point on Moreton Bay at sunset to get a shot of the old lighthouse. This lighthouse is a bit different as it is made from wood and is hexagonal in cross-section.

The sky didn't produce as much colour as I had hoped but nevertheless it provided a reasonably interesting backdrop to the lighthouse. I'd appreciate any feedback on the composition and how well this image works.

Thanks
    Dave

Pls click on image for best viewing.

Re: The Old Cleveland Lighthouse

I just wonder about cropping tighter to lose the left side tree; possibly 5 x 4 ratio.

That might make the lighthouse appear taller. There isn't a lot of real interest on the left and I find that half tree is drawing my attention away from the main subject.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Geoff

Another alternative is to keep the aspect ratio and try "spot healing" the tree branch. I'll have a look at both.

Dave

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Dave,
    Nice Image, maybe use the distant shoreline, which to my eyes (that have been on the wane for a while now) could do with a straighten and see how it looks.
    Best Wishes, Pat

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Nice Image, maybe use the distant shoreline, which to my eyes (that have been on the wane for a while now) could do with a straighten and see how it looks.
    Best Wishes, Pat
    Hi Pat, thanks for your comments. I had a close look at the straightness in PS with the grid. Your eyes are not deceiving you - the distant shore is not quite horizontal. However if I straighten that, the lighthouse is then a little off vertical !! I think it's all to do with perspective distortion on the lighthouse as I was quite close to it and the camera was facing up at an angle.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I was trying to 'see' it without that tree branch at the left. I don't think it being there is too much of a problem. In a way I didn't expect, I think it does give something of a counterpoint to the lighthouse. Otherwise there's a lot of space on that left-hand side (nice space, but a lot of it).

My thought was about the lighthouse itself. I wondered about doing a little dodging on it, just to brighten it slightly and in a subtle way, so it stood out in the image a little bit more. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks for commenting Donald

I had actually brightened the lighthouse selectively but maybe not enough. Here is a brighter version.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That works for me. Not too much. Just enough.