Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: C&C requested for garden photo

Real Name
    Terri

C&C requested for garden photo

There are a few flowers still left but not many that present a good opportunity for decent composition. I'm looking for feedback on this in a couple of areas.

Composition-wise, I'm fairly happy with this. Wish I had noticed the brown twig middle left edge but I've blurred it and it doesn't bother me too much. Since I'm not going for a botanical magazine look, but rather a natural garden setting I'm pretty happy with the rest.

Now for the issues I'm concerned with. Even though this was taken in diffused light, I still had issues with the reds blowing out. I dealt with this first by reducing the Hue Boost that my RAW processor did, reducing the overall exposure just slightly and using the recovery slider. I also reduced saturation overall slightly and then I used the Colors panel to choose only the red and reduce saturation and luminance. All this allowed me to be able to add some contrast in curves without re-introducing the blown areas. So, did this work well or are there better ways for me to go about this? Does the exposure look ok or does it look underexposed.

Lastly, the second picture has a vignette which I added to bring focus away from the background and to the flower. Is this an effective use of vignette or does it just make it look underexposed? I did reduce the radius on the vignette.

Thanks all!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: C&C requested for garden photo

Nice composition, though the brown branch in the background on the right is distracting; I wish there had been more greenery there.

Nice vignette also. If you hadn't mentioned it and if you hadn't provided the first image for comparison purposes, I don't know that I would have noticed it. Not noticing a vignette is ideal in my mind.

You mentioned that you had blown reds despite the diffused lighting. Welcome to the world of digital camera sensors! However, whether the light is diffuse or direct is not a factor when it comes to blown reds as you discovered in this image.

I think you handled the red channel very well. However, despite all of your efforts, there is little detail in the red petals. I think that's because of the lighting. Lacking the use of man-made lighting to provide more detail, my guess is that this might be as good as you can get and still keep a natural look that is consistent with the natural appearance of the garden. Perhaps others who have more experience with flowers than I have can offer suggestions about that.

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Terri

No one is less qualified to comment on flowers than I, but I wanted to address the vignette. I think it was done very well, effective without being obvious. Scott Kelby adds a slight vignette to virtually ALL his shots.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Terry,
    Now that is the one challenge I have not yet mastered, getting detail in a red flower. They say it is impossible with digital, but I am determined to get it right. (Any secrets to share?)
    Well done Terri.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks everyone for commenting. Andre, I have no tricks left after what I wrote above. As Mike said, there's still not much detail but I may give it another shot today and see if I can improve it.