Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Porch Birds

Real Name
    Norman Head

Porch Birds

For some reason todays project was organizing birds that frequent the feeders on my porch into an album, as prompted by the arrival of a previously unseen and un photographed species at our feeder. This parent turned up with a young one, the young one had trouble perching forget about getting any food out of the feeder. But the parent spent some time feeding it. This is the parent, I haven't got a photo of the young one yet.

Pine Grossbeak
    Porch Birds

To see the new album of images spanning a couple years, click here.

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Porch Birds

Hi Norman,

Lovely bird, wish we had them over here!

I like your image, I just don't know whether it would benefit from a bit more contrast. The one you posted looks a little bit 'foggy'. I hope you don't mind but I added some contrast in Photoshop very quickly. And I mean VERY quickly!

Porch Birds

Maybe not everyone will prefer my edit, but it's a different take on it.

Thanks for posting

Real Name
    Steve

Looks like a white winged crossbill , male. Nice shot, but i would try to avoid clipping the tail. (shoot with camera virtical, instead of horizontal)

Real Name
    Norman Head

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Hi Norman,

Lovely bird, wish we had them over here!

I like your image, I just don't know whether it would benefit from a bit more contrast. The one you posted looks a little bit 'foggy'. I hope you don't mind but I added some contrast in Photoshop very quickly. And I mean VERY quickly!

Porch Birds

Maybe not everyone will prefer my edit, but it's a different take on it.

Thanks for posting
    Yes, a bit after posting I actually did that, contrasted the whole image and then contrasted teh mid-tones.Mine is not as dark as yours maybe not as dark as yours. The original is actually more like he looks, but hey..it's art. The foggy is the back lighting and window glass.

*Nice shot, but i would try to avoid clipping the tail.
    I was shooting with the 60-250, so I backed it out a bit to maybe 200 to get the tail, but I never got another shot. These are new to the area birds, they were extremely skittish and spent most of the time with the feeder between them and me. The youngster, I never did get a shot of.

Thanks for your comments.