Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sony A99

Real Name
    Anita

Re: Sony A99

Hi Pa

I am thinking about purchasing an A77, but have a question. A couple of the reviews indicate that when shooting videos, you only get the AF function if you are in the P mode. I was going to download the A77 manual to take a look at that before I take the jump, but there is nothing like asking someone with "hands-on" experience. If what I've read is true, I don't know whether it is anything I should even care about, but I don't understand its implications & am hoping you can shed some light.

I sure am impressed with this camera and I'll bet you are delighted to use it.
    Thanks,
    Anita

Real Name
    Hans

I was a minolta user in the analog time. They were taken over by Sony. Great glass.
    The best lens I ever owned was the 135 STF. It is still available.
    If you want a lens with the most adorable bokeh then that should be your choice.
    Congrats with the A99

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Anita - I don't know either the A99 or the A77, but I am a video shooter, so I can offer some comments on autofocus and video. It is functionality that experienced video shooters tend to avoid, other than perhaps when setting up the shot. The same comment goes for autoexposure. Both of these functions can result in rather amateurish looking video.

When shooting images, the focus and exposure are set a fraction of a second before the shutter is triggered. If these functions are used in video, they remain active throughout the shot, which will run in the order of many seconds. If someone or something moves in or out of the scene, the autofocus will chase the object and the autoexposure could stop up or down during the shot. If they are turned off during the shot, this can't happen and the resulting footage looks a lot more professional. The built in microphone also has a habit of picking up noise from the automated focus motor and aperture motor.

The other issue with HD video is that it is very unforgiving if the focus is off a bit, and in my experience the videographer cannot always trust the camera's autofocus. Sony shows its video heritage by including a wonderful function called autopeaking; Sony (and Panasonic) was making high end video equipment well before entering the still camera market and has carried this knowledge over into their still camera designs. I believe both the A77 and A99 have this. With autopeaking turned on anything that is in focus is outlined in red, so it is quite simple to ensure that you have focused on the appropriate part of the shot.

Bottom line; I wouldn't get to concerned about how the video autofocus is configured on this camera. It is something you really shouldn't use when shooting video anyway.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Hansm View Post
    I was a minolta user in the analog time. They were taken over by Sony. Great glass.
    The best lens I ever owned was the 135 STF. It is still available.
    If you want a lens with the most adorable bokeh then that should be your choice.
    Congrats with the A99
    Thanks Hans, I am having a lot of fun with the camera. Still lots to learn about it.
    Had a look at the 135mm lens. Oooooh, I think I need one. Pity about the price tag that comes with it
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Sorry I missed this but wanted to get your post clarified.
    Sony don't make a lens adapter for the HX100 so why would a Sony store have one?
    hanging a heavy filter and in some peoples cases a hood off the front of a lens that wasn't engineered with this in mind.

you went and bought a UV filter and "glued" it to the front of your lens?
    Really?
    You glued something to the front of your lens?
    Did you use superglue because if you did the fumes are likely to damaged the plastics beyond repair rendering your entire camera into a pile junk.
    Is your camera still within its manufacturers guaranty period because any bit of paper you have is now rendered worthless as Sony will bounce any claim straight back to you with a note saying "Don't glue thing to the front of your camera mate"
    Some sort of protection in front of any lens is a MUST! Not merely an option!
    Sony does not make these adapters because they don't care about aftermarket service.
    How heavy is a 52mm filter - if that lens cannot handle that weight I may just as well dump the HXV.
    Yes, really, I did glue a filter to the front of the lens with SUPERGLUE.
    Yes I did glue something to the front of a lens and I have the audasity to do my own sensor cleaning on a Nikon D200 as well!
    A scrach on the lens will turn the Sony into a pile of junk anyway.

No matter what if Sony was prepared to render as good a service to customers, as their cameras are good, they would probably make inroads in the DSLR market.
    Last edited by AB26; 23rd January 2013 at 08:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12