Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hiking Glacier National Park

Real Name
    Kevin

Hiking Glacier National Park

A little over a week in Glacier, hiking and taking photos, then a little snow and they started closing roads.

McDonald Lake taken from Apgar lookout.

Sinopah Mountain and Two Medicine Lake

Mount Oberlin

Mount Oberlin from a different angle and different day.

McDonald Lake again, different day.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Re: Hiking Glacier National Park

Kevin, very nice images. #2 and #4 are my favourites. My only suggestion would be trying to clone out the rock at the left bottom corner on #2. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    pinaki

Awesome Capture.Looks like heaven.Only thing that i would suggest to crop a bit of foreground for the 1st pic as it is slighly distracting.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Very nice, Kevin. I think you've also hit on another 'ideal' time to visit the park: after some snow falls but not after you can't drive anywhere (that's awful English!). So that's at least two more trips I have to make there because I still haven't been able to go all the way through the Going To The Sun Road.

I'm assuming though that you did have to go off road and hike to some of these places here.

Thanks for sharing these.
    Last edited by Lon Howard; 4th November 2012 at 07:02 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Kevin - That is a very impressive set of images. My compliments.

Real Name
    Mark

2&3 for me.

#1 the fore ground is to busy for me
    #2 is great love the saturation and composition, not sure about the rock bottom left
    #3 Nice warm colours with lots of drama.
    #4 lacks contrast and i find a bit grey and somthing about the composition doesnt work.
    #5 the water horizon seems to slope to the right apart from that the large amount of blue doesnt appeal to me

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    Very nice, Kevin. I think you've also hit on another 'ideal' time to visit the park: after some snow falls but not after you can't drive anywhere (that's awful English!). So that's at least two more trips I have to make there because I still haven't been able to go all the way through the Going To The Sun Road.

I'm assuming though that you did have to go off road and hike to some of these places here.

Thanks for sharing these.
    It was a good time after the snow. Smoke from forest fires in the area was bad and killed the visibility, especially at Apgar. The snow cleared that up very well and I think it put the fires out. And yes, I did do some hiking. I think 17miles was my longest day.

Real Name
    Terri

This is a nice set. #1 and #2 are my favorites although as others have said I'd crop off some of the bottom in #1. The colors are gorgeous.

17 miles? It's been many years since I could do that many miles in one day. Enjoy that ability and take advantage while you can! As you know there's a lot more out there to see if you can just get to it.

Real Name
    Kevin

I really appreciate everyones comments and taking the time to suggest ways to improve. Helps me get better. I do remember trying to find a better position for the first photo, but it just went from bad to worse as I moved down hill. By the time I got home cropping just never crossed my mind. The rock in the second photo seems so obvious now that you've mentioned it. That could have easily been moved at the time, eliminating the need for PP. Not sure what I could do about the blue in the last one. Maybe a good excuse for better editing software? I just have aperture at the moment. I will be doing a better job of correcting for these details next time. Thank you.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Shooter View Post
    ...Not sure what I could do about the blue in the last one. Maybe a good excuse for better editing software? I just have aperture at the moment. ...
    Aperture does have some limitations but it is what I use for most of my editing. Not trying to discourage you from getting something else because I probably do need to step up the game at this point but just wanted you to know that a great deal can be done in Aperture alone. I'm wondering if you are shooting in RAW?

Real Name
    Kevin

I am shooting in RAW. I do agree that a lot can be done with aperture, and I am sure I do not know all there is to know about it. I do like it. I haven't tried anything else but some software seems to be able to adjust only selected areas of a photo while Aperture adjustments tend to impact the entire photo. Definitely not an expert but sometimes I think I could use that kind of control. Photo #5 would be a good example. By adjusting contrast I could probably have a green forest but at the expense of a blue sky. Maybe just my lack of experience?

Real Name
    Terri

First, you are absolutely right in that other software like Photoshop (I have Photoshop Elements) is better suited to doing detailed selections and applying mods to those areas. You can perform adjustments to select areas in Aperture but you do it by brushing in or brushing away the adjustment so it can be more time consuming if you are trying to do such a thing to something like trees. You do this though by just adding a second (or subsequent) adjustment panel (using the cog tool at the top right of the first adjustment panel) and then choose the brush you want. I've successfully added several Curves panels and applied different Curves to different areas of a photo in less time than it takes me to get it into Photoshop and deal with it there.

By the way, the blue hue in photo #5 doesn't bother me as I think it could have looked a lot like this. But if it bothers you, maybe a change in white balance away from blue and then a subsequent change using the Color panel on the sky would get the blue back there.

I may be telling you stuff you already know but maybe someone reading this will get something out of it. I'm far from being an expert in Aperture either and I'm not even close to being comfortable with Photoshop. Photoshop has made me much better at Aperture because Photoshop quite frankly drives me crazy!

Real Name
    Kevin

Thank you Terri. You are not telling me something I already know and I did get something out of it. I am going to try the multiple panels. I do like the way Aperture keeps the original. That way you can't do permanent damage.

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Full credit Kevin, for making the trip and hiking in to get some really spectacular images. Thanks for sharing.
    the Two Medicine Lake shot is my favorite. Let's see some more!

Real Name
    Steve

Excellent compositions Kevin. My comment on the 1st image is to ADD some foreground the next time you shoot this scene. A little less sky and some more foreground would add some more depth. Just my ˘˘.

Real Name
    Jason

Nice shots Kevin. I especially like 1 and 2. I have wanted to head out there for some time now but as of yet have not managed.

Real Name
    james

1 and 2 for me as well . Saweet series.