Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Spring Birds

Real Name
    Suzan J

Spring Birds

Good Morning All and Greetings from Canada

I took these shots in the Spring near the river at the end of property. I really do like taking shots of the birds, but it is not an easy task! Any thoughts on how to improve my technique.

Spring Birds
    DSC_0015 by Soo J, on Flickr

Spring Birds
    Goose 1 by Soo J, on Flickr

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Spring Birds

Hello Suzan

I don't think I got a chance to welcome you to CiC. So - welcome. Great to have you here.

First thing (before we get on to your images) - If you wish, you can go to Edit Profile and enter your location so that it shows up alongside all your posts, just as in my details alongside this message. Then we all know where everyone is in the world.

I think there are two approaches to wildlife photography. You can either: a) include the wildlife in a wider landscape-type shot resulting in the animal/bird not being the sole centre of attention, just an element in the image or, b) you have the animal/bird filling the frame.

For b), you invariably need a long lens. I don't know what you shot this with, but don't think it was a long telephoto lens.

But, as you show with the first one, it is very possible to produce a very strong and attractive image that includes wildlife, but does not have it filling the frame. If you have the vision to see a good composition (which I think you demonstrate with this first one), then you can create images that are attractive.

My comment about that one is to wonder if it would be improved if you were to crop at the right hand side, just so that we lose that bit of ground to the right of the fence? Try and see what you think.

Real Name
    Pat

Re: Spring Birds

Hi Suzan and welcome,
    Just to add to Donald's reply I find that with bird photography one of the keys is to get close, and then when your close get closer still. Some form of camouflage can be a great benefit and depending on the bird you wish to photograph is essential. A great advantage is if you can watch the birds for a time and observe there habits and some of the places that they frequent, and then try and choose a spot that will give you a good background for your shot, cluttered backgrounds more often than not will ruin a good sharp shot that shows the bird in an interesting pose.
    Direction and intensity of the light is also a major factor.
    Ideally the minimum would be a lens of 400mm.
    Hope this helps, and you may find this site of interest
    http://www.digitalbirdphotography.com/cover.html

Best Wishes, Pat