Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Halloween 2012

Real Name
    Renee'

Halloween 2012

Halloween 2012
    My daughter Katelyne, neice Haley, nephew Holden, and my youngest Kassidy!

Halloween 2012
    Nephew Holden, and daughter Kassidy

Halloween 2012
    Neice Haley

Halloween 2012
    This did not turn out as good as I wanted but decided to share!
    Last edited by reneewillard74; 2nd November 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Halloween 2012

Getting lighting and arrangements of people all working well in a confined space is always a bit of a challenge. But the lovely thing is that even though you can't get it set up to studio standards, you're still able to capture important family moments.

Real Name
    Richard

Hello Renee,

Welcome to CiC... Let me share a few things which might improve your images in the future.

As Donald mentioned, shooting in tight quarters is a challenge. However, if you can situate your subjects against a background that is not as busy as the cereal boxes on top of the fridge, it would help.

I can see how you changed the background in image #4 from that of image #1 and I think that the less intrusive background works better.

Situating your subject or subjects further from the background will help minimize the problem of the shadow from your built in flash on the wall...

Shooting close up images with built-in flash proposes a problem because of the shadow thrown by the flash. However, the shadow will be less of a problem if you consider which way that you have the camera tilted when shooting in the vertical or portrait position. The shadows in both #2 and #3 would be less troublesome if the camera were tilted 180 degrees so that the flash would cast its shadow to the rear of the girl in image #3 and Kassidy's shadow would not fall on the face of the person holding her in image #2.

Perhaps you could mention what camera you used to shoot the images. We might be able to suggect some other tricks of the trade...

Real Name
    Renee'

I have the Canon T1i! Thank you so much for your suggestions. Will try to think about backgrounds next time.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Hello Renee,

Welcome to CiC... Let me share a few things which might improve your images in the future.

As Donald mentioned, shooting in tight quarters is a challenge. However, if you can situate your subjects against a background that is not as busy as the cereal boxes on top of the fridge, it would help.

I can see how you changed the background in image #4 from that of image #1 and I think that the less intrusive background works better.

Situating your subject or subjects further from the background will help minimize the problem of the shadow from your built in flash on the wall...

Shooting close up images with built-in flash proposes a problem because of the shadow thrown by the flash. However, the shadow will be less of a problem if you consider which way that you have the camera tilted when shooting in the vertical or portrait position. The shadows in both #2 and #3 would be less troublesome if the camera were tilted 180 degrees so that the flash would cast its shadow to the rear of the girl in image #3 and Kassidy's shadow would not fall on the face of the person holding her in image #2.

Perhaps you could mention what camera you used to shoot the images. We might be able to suggect some other tricks of the trade...

Real Name
    Richard

Renee, if you can afford it; a hotshoe flash with a diffuser/reflector would definitely improve your indoor shots. I would look for a flash that both tilts and rotates and one which has TTL capablity.

The present offerings from Canon are pretty pricey with the 430EX running in the area of $220 (all prices in U.S. Dollars).

I cannot recommend the Yongnuo flashes (because I have never used one) but, many photographers seem to be happy with them and the YN-467 runs only $75.36 with free shpping from Amazon.com. It has both TTL exposure capability and tilt and rotate capability.
    http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-467...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Another thought might be a used Canon 420EX which also has TTL and rotate+tilt capability. It doesn't have manual capability. However you should be able to find one used on eBay (or some other used equipment forum) for about the same price as the YN-467.

I use a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro ( www.dembflashproducts.com ) which does a great job modifying my flash when bounced. It can be used either in the landscape or portrait camera positions...

Halloween 2012

The Flash Diffuser Pro is not exceptionally expensive but a far less expensive reflector is available on eBay and should do the job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reflector-Fl...item2573d7b325

You "could" simply use a white index card taped to the flash as a reflector (to fill in the shadows under the eyebrows, nose and chin) but the above reflector is pretty darn cheap...

Real Name
    Renee'

Never heard of this will defintly see about getting a diffuser reflector! I do have the 430EX II Speedlite! I add to my camera each year and I am hoping this year to get a lens, I am trying to decide between the 100-300mm or the 100-400mm lens. The reason I would like a telephoto lens is because my daughter will be graduating in 2014 and would like to get a good shot from the stands.

Real Name
    Richard

Renee...

If you already have a 430EXII, you are well on your way! I recommend the Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro as a diffuser reflector. The DFD is a two part unit with the main part being a FlipIt reflector. The FlipIt can be adjusted in angle depending on how much light you want to direct forward. For most shooting, I use the FlipIt almost directly up. However, if I am shooting in an area with no ceiling overhead off which to bounce my flash or if the ceiling is too dark for bouncing, I angle the FlipIt about 45 degrees forward which directs most of the light from the flash forward. It is, however, softer and, IMO, more pleasant than direct flash.

Halloween 2012
    This image is from a night market in China. There was no ceiling overhead off which to bounce the flash.

The second portion of the DFD is the diffuser which softens the light directed forward even more.

I most often shoot with the end of the flash unit facing forward and the DFD mounted on the other end (see the illustration in my previous post). That way, it is easier to use the DFD when I switch from the landscape to the portrait position and back again...

Lots of folks use the Stofen diffuser on their hotshoe flashes. I don't particularly like the Stofen and far prefer the DFD.