Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Day of the Dead...

Real Name
    Richard

Day of the Dead...

El Dia de los Muertos is celebrated in many communities that have a Hispanic heritage. In San Diego's Old Town they prepare for the celebration with face painting...

Day of the Dead...

Day of the Dead...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Day of the Dead...

I really like the second one. The look in her eyes and lips immediately speaks volumes to me.

By the way, I visited Oaxaca, Mexico, a few years ago to experience the celebration of the Day of the Dead. It was a fabulous experience, both photographically and being with the locals. I can't recommend highly enough that others go there during the celebration.

Real Name
    Richard

I was invited with a Filipino family to their cemetery in Manila, Philippines for the night ceremony on the Day of the Dead. The cemetery was filled with Filipino families havng picnics on their loved ones graves and thereby sharing the holiday with the departed. It was wonderfuly photogenic but, I had only a cheap P&S film camera with me which was not up to the task...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd November 2012 at 03:02 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you Richard. Not only have I enjoyed the images, but I have been informed and educated as well.

The portrait is very good, but I do like the intimacy captured in the first one, where the concentration given to the task at hand is very evident.

Real Name
    Richard

Many face paintings decorated only half a face. I am not sure about the reason for this but, I was told that it signifies the connection between the dead and the living.

Day of the Dead...

Day of the Dead...

Decorated paper mache skeletons were also very popular

Day of the Dead...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Those last three are also very nice! They make me want to return to Mexico for the celebrations!

I only wish that the brush tip were as sharp as the hand in the first one, but I'm not positive without seeing it that way that it would really make a difference.