Thread: Canon LP-E10 or generic?

Real Name
    Anton

Canon LP-E10 or generic?

I really need a spare battery and have been looking in to it, The official Canon battery retails for £25.99 but you can buy generic brands for around £8 which claim to be 100% compatible.
    A friend of mine had a Fui Finepix camera and purchased a spare generic battery for it, He claims that this battery caused his camera to fail.
    He had only had it for about 2 months but the camera lcd froze and the zoom lens became stuck in the extended position.
    He took it back to the shop and they refunded him with no questions (not even offering a replacement) which led me to think it was possibly a known issue with that particular model.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with the Canon LP-E10 and using a generic branded battery? (EOS 1100D)

Real Name
    Pat

Re: Canon LP-E10 or generic?

Hi Anton,
    I have a INOV8 compatible battery for my Canon 50D for the past 2 years and have had no problems, I think they should be readily available and cater for a large range of cameras, not sure about the price though
    Hope this helps, Best Wishes, Pat

Real Name
    Anton

Thanks Pat, A quick search seems to indicate they are a bit cheaper than the Canon at around £18

Real Name
    Pat

Your welcome.

Real Name
    Alex

I use Sterlingtek batteries following the recommendations from others on this forum. My only problem is that with my camera (Canon 7D) the batteries have a microchip that allows the camera to recognise the battery and display shutter count since last recharge and recharge performance. The problem is that both batteries have the same chip so the camera cannot tell them apart. Maybe I could have bought them in two batches instead of one to solve this. Anyway the battery performance has been good for the 18 months I have used them.

However I seem to remember that others have mentioned a few issues. I can't remember the specifics. The bottom line is that your camera will not be under warranty with third party batteries. My camera is not under warranty any more so I don't mind.

Alex

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Anton,

I've just checked the Sterlingtek website and it is not clear if they will ship to the UK. The price information is about US and Canada. (I got them when in the US.) So I tried to buy one and the checkout is for US or Canada. Sorry.

Alex

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Alex,
    I've heard about Sterlingtek from this forum, the problem I have found with most US or Canadian store's can be rather high shipping costs to Europe.
    Best Wishes, Pat

Real Name
    Anton

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    I use Sterlingtek batteries following the recommendations from others on this forum. My only problem is that with my camera (Canon 7D) the batteries have a microchip that allows the camera to recognise the battery and display shutter count since last recharge and recharge performance. The problem is that both batteries have the same chip so the camera cannot tell them apart. Maybe I could have bought them in two batches instead of one to solve this. Anyway the battery performance has been good for the 18 months I have used them.

However I seem to remember that others have mentioned a few issues. I can't remember the specifics. The bottom line is that your camera will not be under warranty with third party batteries. My camera is not under warranty any more so I don't mind.

Alex
    Thanks Alex,
    I read that some generic batteries have the chip you mention (so the shutter clicks are retained) but some others do not have the chip and subsequently the battery status and shutter clicks are not recorded (also the Cannon charger lights do not work to show when fully charged)
    As my 1100D is literally 4 weeks old i think i should really do the sensible thing and purchase a genuine Canon LP-E10.

Thanks Pat & Alex for your valuable input

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Can't go wrong with OEM

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've never quite figured out how people will sped a lot of money on their camera gear and then go cheap on the batteries.

Lithium-ion (Li-on) batteries that power your camera are fine if they are well made and not abused, but can become fire hazards under the right circumstances. If you remember the massive laptop battery recalls a few years ago; these were a a result of manufacturing defects that lead to a fire risk; the internet as full of videos of laptops with their Li-on batteries. bursting into flames. There are significant restrictions on transporting Li-on batteries, especially by air. You can't put them into your luggage, for instance and can only carry limited quantities in your cabin baggage.

The battery has safety circuitry and components built in. Lithium is a very reactive metal and can burn, especially in the presence of humidity. Oxygen is generated at the cathode, and this must be vented, so the battery contains a vent and a burst disk, in case the vent gets blocked. The battery can get into thermal runaway during charging or if charged at low temperatures, so cutoff circuitry is built-in to detect overheat conditions. There is also a thermal cutoff to detect overheat during use, i.e. the battery has a lot of failure detection mechanisms built in. Are you willing to assume that the knock-off battieres have these features built in?

So, you are willing to trust non-name batteries that could do serious harm to your camera and its immediate environment? These problems can occur with name brand, but at least they will stand behind their products. I personally stick with batteries from my camera's manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I've never quite figured out how people will sped a lot of money on their camera gear and then go cheap on the batteries.

Lithium-ion (Li-on) batteries that power your camera are fine if they are well made and not abused, but can become fire hazards under the right circumstances. If you remember the massive laptop battery recalls a few years ago; these were a a result of manufacturing defects that lead to a fire risk; the internet as full of videos of laptops with their Li-on batteries. bursting into flames. There are significant restrictions on transporting Li-on batteries, especially by air. You can't put them into your luggage, for instance and can only carry limited quantities in your cabin baggage.

The battery has safety circuitry and components built in. Lithium is a very reactive metal and can burn, especially in the presence of humidity. Oxygen is generated at the cathode, and this must be vented, so the battery contains a vent and a burst disk, in case the vent gets blocked. The battery can get into thermal runaway during charging or if charged at low temperatures, so cutoff circuitry is built-in to detect overheat conditions. There is also a thermal cutoff to detect overheat during use, i.e. the battery has a lot of failure detection mechanisms built in. Are you willing to assume that the knock-off battieres have these features built in?

So, you are willing to trust non-name batteries that could do serious harm to your camera and its immediate environment? These problems can occur with name brand, but at least they will stand behind their products. I personally stick with batteries from my camera's manufacturers.
    +1 I paid too much for my camera to trust it to a knock off battery no matter how good they claim to be.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    +1 I paid too much for my camera to trust it to a knock off battery no matter how good they claim to be.
    We are thinking exactly the same way here Carl; I paid $3000 for my camera body, but I am willing to risk it all by saving $20 on a camera battery. I feel the same way about memory cards; use the recommended cards because you really do get what you pay for. I would hate to be out in the middle of nowhere missing that once-in-a-lifetime shot because I was being cheap...

i am a member on a travel website and one of the more common questions is related to wanting to forgo the expense of vaccinations or anti-malarial drugs when traveling to the Amazon basin or sub-Saharan Africa. It really bothers me that people are willing to risk serious illness or even death for the price of a good restaurant meal after dropping thousands on a trip.

Real Name
    Anton

Official Canon LP-E10 it is then
    Interesting you mention SDHC cards, I have a Transcend class 10 which actually appears to be a class 6 upon testing
    Think i should add a couple of Sandisk Extreme 4GB cards to my shopping list

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by groovesection View Post
    Interesting you mention SDHC cards, I have a Transcend class 10 which actually appears to be a class 6 upon testing
    Unfortunately, I speak from personal experience here. I bought a Verbatim 32GB SD card prior to a trip to Iceland a few years ago. I tested it and it worked fine. Unfortunately, that did not help as it died on the trip. It works in other cameras, just not my D90. Fortunately, I had backup cards and did not lose any important shots.

Quote Originally Posted by groovesection View Post
    I use the SanDisk Extreme Pro class 10 16 GB cards and they will hold 511 large RAW images. Just a thought.

Almost forgot ebay is not the place to go for your SD cards.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

I use the SanDisk Extreme Pro class 10 16 GB cards and they will hold 511 large RAW images. Just a thought.

SanDisk is the way to go. We all remember the fishermens who fish up that Canon from the botton of the sea after it being there for two years and when the SD card was check it was still working and from that they was able to find the owners, unfortunately the camera was trash I've also had good luck with PNY, using a 32GB class 10 card in my rig right now, was the only thing Best Buy had in a 32GB at the time.
    Last edited by Melkus; 1st November 2012 at 06:04 PM.

I failed to mention that I also have Magic Lantern installed on the 16 GB cards so without ML they would hold a few more images.

Real Name
    Anton

Thanks Carl,
    I actually purchased the Transcend 16GB class 10 from Amazon, Ebay is full of hacked SHDC cards
    Friend of mine purchased a 16GB which turned out to be a hacked 1GB SD lol

Oh and good point regarding the size of card, I forgot i am now shooting RAW & L-jpg and so 4GB would soon get filled.
    A couple of 8GB Sandisk Extremes should be sufficient for my needs

I have two camera bodies.

For the first one, I bought an ANSMANN battery (made in China no less). Both the OEM Canon and the ANSMANN perform well - at least in six years I can't tell the difference in performance. I alternate the batteries.

For the second one, I bought a TAMA battery (cells made in Japan which means the case and assembly was done in China). Both were purchased at the same time (three years ago), and as above the batteries were used alternately. However, the Canon one when charged and installed in the camera indicates that it isn't quite up to snuff - it's recharge performance gives two bars out of three. The TAMA battery performance reads three out of three.

The Canon battery isn't as good.

On other forums (most notably POTN), rarely has anyone recommended buying an OEM battery. Sterlingtek is mentioned often.

Type LP E10 into google and you'll find various options.

Glenn