Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Early morning in Utah

Early morning in Utah

While traveling through Utah early one morning, we came across some horses. It's like they were waiting on us to take their photo. So I did.
    Early morning in Utah

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Early morning in Utah

great shot Don. did you get a model release??? i love the colours saturation and exposure and i think it would make an even better panno crop loose most of the foreground and half the sky and see what it looks like.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I reckon that is a big cardboard cutout that you took out of the back of a truck and placed there!

I think the strength of the image is the decision that's been made in terms of how much of the image should be occupied by the horse. I think many of us might have gone for something in which the horse filled much more of the frame. But that would have been wrong. This, for me, gets it just right. It shows us a wonderful image of the horse, but places it very firmly, in its environment.

Real Name
    Natalie

Great colors and nice compo....I agree with Donald, a tighter crop would lose the effect of the vastness of the scene.....

Real Name
    Mark

Donald, Nat, your both sooooo wrong! ive tried the crop and it works really well, it gives it a classic western sort of look. Hope you dont mind Don.

Early morning in Utah

Real Name
    Natalie

Well, I have to admit I like that, too. So I vote for one of each. It does not take away from the vastness, at least for me.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It was very nice of you, Don, to accommodate the horse by taking its picture.

If I were to crop anything -- and I probably wouldn't -- I would crop only the bottom. That expansive sky helps make the image so special.