Thread: Blowing Bubbles

Real Name
    Emily

Blowing Bubbles

Here's a shot from yesterday, I did do a smidge of colour dodging on her eyes, but only a little just to brighten them and as you can see there is a reflection on each pupil. Should I have tried to remove it or would it have looked too fake? I also removed a few stay hairs over her eyes. My photoshop skills are VERY limited, but I am learning slowly!

Blowing Bubbles

Feedback as always is most welcome. Thank you!

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Blowing Bubbles

That's a very nice shot, Emily. You have certainly identified that your model has very striking eyes and planned a shot very successfully that emphasizes them. Your processing of her eyes is pretty darn good. Certainly you will want to leave at least one catch light on each eye- you would notice how unnatural and flat they would look without that sparkle. Sometime it is a decision whether to leave just one or multiple lights.

When I pp eyes, I approach them step-by-step anatomically. I darken the edges of the iris, darken the pupil, check the sclera for obvious blood vessels and reduce them with a healing brush, and add a little whitening to the sclera as they oftenlook a little pink (yours look good here). Then I add a little saturation, LCE, and sharpening to the iris, and lastly, I check the entire orbital area to see if it needs a slight local increase in exposure, as we tend to get some shadowing from the orbit. You have handled the lighting very well here. I like your nice tight crop- many people early in their portraiture experience seem to feel compelled to include the whole head. I'm glad you didnt. Nice job!

Kevin

Real Name
    Emily

Re: Blowing Bubbles

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply. I will make a note of the way you edit peoples eyes and give it a go myself.

I'm afraid I can't say that I went out with this particular shot in mind, it was pure luck really! My daughter wanted to blow some bubbles at me while I snapped away at her. For once I did actually get quite a few good ones out of it. It's so exciting when you know you've just snapped a great shot, especially for a beginner like me

Cheers!

Emily