Thread: Some General Photography.

Real Name
    Sam

Some General Photography.

Hi guys

I posted these pictures in my introductory thread over in the 'Meet The Members' section for the newbies. I'm new to photography, I bought my Canon EOS 600D/T3i as part of a long term investment in not only a camera that would be well built, but with the right use, something that will help produce some outstanding photographs.

I've had to take the ones below from my Facebook page as when I was upgrading to Windows 8, I forgot to save the originals so sorry for any compression you may see.

The snake is mine, he's a captive bred Boa Constrictor, born in 2011 and one of 4 in my collection. Please feel free to give some CC on my images as I'd love to improve. I took delivery of my camera around 2-3 weeks ago.

Sam

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Some General Photography.

Hi, Sam and another warm welcome to CiC. I've learned more from these good people in the last year than I had in the previous 5 (admittedly I wasnt putting much effort into it till I joined here)

Looks like you are off to an excellent start. I especially like #3,4, and 5.

The light in the first two is just a bit contrasty and uneven, and I think the snake is shown to best effect with a nice tight shot, with the focus point being his eyeas you did in #3

Image 5 shows nice creativity in the framing, though the background is rather busy and a little distracting-it can be a fine line between showing enough background to give context without so much that it competes with your primary subject.

#4 is very nice. Wooded scenes are very challenging to separate the trees from the woods, that is to get enough isolation of elements to allow the viewer to see what the photographer wanted to capture. Often it just blends into a lot of "stuff", without a dominant element and just doenst do the observed scene justice. I think you did very well here.

Keep on posting, there's a lot of folks with a lot to share here.

Kevin

Real Name
    Glenn

Hi Sam i agree with Kevin 3,4 and 5 for me great shots.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Hi Sam. What strange bedfellows you keep!! Good luck with your new hobby which has got off to a great start.
    Looking forward to some close headshots of your pets.

Real Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    Hi Sam. What strange bedfellows you keep!! Good luck with your new hobby which has got off to a great start.
    Looking forward to some close headshots of your pets.
    Thank you everyone for your lovely comments. Here's another shot I had to catch very quickly, so sorry that half of his chin is cut off haha. He was only like this for around 2-3 seconds so catching the shot was hard.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Sam,

Here's another shot I had to catch very quickly, so sorry that half of his chin is cut off haha.
    When you are grabbing shots like this, it's often a good idea to pull back on the zoom and sort the framing out later. From the EXIF you were at 37mm on your 18-55mm zoom, so you had plenty of room to get all his head in. (Unless you meant to get only half, in which case I apologise!)