Thread: Canon 600D or 60D?

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Canon 600D or 60D?

Hi all, im looking at upgrading from my 1000d canon and had a look around, and for my budget i came up with three, the 600d for $600(rounded), or the 60d for $890. The prices are for body only, to save money i'll use the glass's i got with my 1000d. I was oringinally going to get a new lens, but had a look and researched these cameras, and i was planning on upgrading anyway, and still use my 1000d as a everyday camera, not getting ride of her, not if i dont get a lens pack with it, or when i get more lens, i'll give it to a friend who has shown interest in photography. Ok i got side tracked, and i apologise.

So tell me which one you prefer and why?

650D?- if this one i might pay an extra $200ish for a lens pack
    60D?- if this im unsure if i will get the lens pack

Cheers

re: Canon 600D or 60D?

If your interested in the 60D Canon has a factory refurbished one for $799.99. a little savings from brand new and they also have them with the lenses. B&H Video and Andromeda or other areas to check for factory refurb's or sale items. I do love my 60D and the more I learn about it the more I love it. Sorry never had or looked at the 650D.
    Compare the spec's on both cameras and see which one has the most to offer for your photography style. I don't know what lenses you already have but you may be able to make do and spring for the 60D and then later on buy more lenses as your budget allows. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Both are great camera. For the exter money the 60D cost you get a weather sealed body, significantly longer battery life (1100 shots vs 440 shots, larger viewfinder, more cross-type focus points (9 vs 1) less shutter lag, just to name a few advantages the 60D has over the 650D. You have to ask your self if all these exter are worth the exter money for what your going to be doing.
    To me the 650D would not be much of a upgrade over the 1000D but that's just me.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think, Allen, that you're looking at products aimed at two different matrket sectors. The 600 is bery much embedded within the 'consumer range' with the 60D being in the 'prosumer range. Now, these are, of course merely marketing words, but they do indicate a step-up in terms of overall features, durability, robustness. So, if you can do it and your photographic ambitions are high, then stretching to the 60D would, I suggest, be your preferred option.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Canon 600D for me would be of better value. Save that exter money and invest in good glass

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Canon 600D or 60D?

60D in a heartbeat -- the quick control dial alone is worth the investment. Many years ago I started my "Digital SLR" life with a 350D (same family) - I quickly sold it at a loss to buy a 20D - one of the best decisions I ever made - and would do it again without hesitation.

To be honest, I would get a secondhand 40D or 50D; providing you can't afford the 7D. Then put the remaining money towards lenses.

A friend has the 60D and I don't rate it as highly as the 40D/50D in terms of easy operation.

But your first thought is what type of camera would suit you best; as Donald mentioned. The 00D range like 40D/60D have a number of operational advantages but they are slightly larger and heavier which suits some people well, but others prefer the lighter 000D range.

Real Name
    Richard

I totally agree with both Colin and Geoff...

With Colin... I also tried the 350D route and this is the only Canon DSLR camera which I actually disliked. The 000X range of cameras does not have the two dial system which includes the quick control dial. Many shooting parameters which can be altered using the two dial system of the xxD or 7D cameras need to be accessed and changed via the camera menu. This is a slower and less efficient process.

With Geoff... The 40D and 50D cameras are excellent values on the used market. I don't know how much that they cost in OZ but, the cost in the USA represents less than half the cost of the 600D and the difference between these cameras and a 60D or 7D is even greater.

My own feelings... I personally like the larger size and weight of the 60D or, even more, the 7D because these cameras seem to balance better with heavier lenses. I tried to increase the weight and size of the 350D by using a battery grip. This helped a bit but, I was still faced with the lack of the quick control dial.

The 40D, 50D, 60D and 7D have User Selected Mode capability (although, a different number of modes with each camera). The user selected mode system is one of my favorite aspects of these cameras...

If funding your photo equipment is a problem (when isn't it), IMO a 40D or a 50D combined with a top-line zoom such as the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS will be more versatile and provide better imagery than a lesser lens with the newest model DSLR. Please see my China Galleries at http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/ All images were shot with 30D and 40D Canon DSLR cameras using 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses...

One caveat! If you are more inclined to use your camera for video work; I would look at the Canon T4i because that camera can focus while shooting video. However, I prefer to use my dedicated Panasonic HDC-TM900 video camera for that work just as I prefer driving nails with a hammer rather than trying to drive those nails with my Swiss Army Knife.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Thank you for your thoughts. Im throwing in another camera, a nikon d322, what your thoughts

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

There tons of uses out there still using a 35mm film-based single-lens reflex camera like the F100 but I'm not one of them so I can't say anything. The F100 was introduced in 1999. It is often thought of as a scaled-down version of the Nikon F5, and as a precursor to the Nikon F6. The F100 was discontinued, along with most other Nikon film cameras, in 2006. Nikon still makes two 35mm film cameras, the F6 and the FM10.

Real Name
    Anton

Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    Both are great camera. For the exter money the 60D cost you get a weather sealed body, significantly longer battery life (1100 shots vs 440 shots, larger viewfinder, more cross-type focus points (9 vs 1) less shutter lag, just to name a few advantages the 60D has over the 650D. You have to ask your self if all these exter are worth the exter money for what your going to be doing.
    To me the 650D would not be much of a upgrade over the 1000D but that's just me.
    Not to sound condescending but Canon's suggested shots are not real world.
    I have an 1100D and according to Canon it can take 800 shots on a full battery.
    On my first test with the camera i managed to shoot over 1000 shots and shoot 15 minutes of 720P video before the battery drained

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Think it's a lot like car gas mileage but in this case "Actual battery Life will very" Anyway here the full test of the battery life of the 1100D

All figures are calculated based on CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) testing standards (see the section titled "Standard Procedure for Measuring Digital Still Camera Battery Consumption" for more information), and assuming the following power supply condition:

1. One fully-charged Canon LP-E10.

Viewfinder Shooting – Approximate Number of Shots

1. Temperature 23°C / 73°F, Autoexposure only (no flash used): 800
    2. Temperature 23°C / 73°F, Autoexposure 50%, Internal flash activated and used 50%: 700
    3. Temperature 0°C / 32°F, Autoexposure only (no flash used): 750
    4. Temperature 0°C / 32°F, Autoexposure 50%, Internal flash activated and used 50%: 650

Live View Shooting – Approximate Number of Shots
    Two LP-E10 batteries, with an attached battery grip:

1. Temperature 23°C / 73°F, Autoexposure only (no flash used): 240
    2. Temperature 23°C / 73°F, Autoexposure 50%, Internal flash activated and used 50%: 220
    3. Temperature 0°C / 32°F, Autoexposure only (no flash used): 230
    4. Temperature 0°C / 32°F, Autoexposure 50%, Internal flash activated and used 50%: 210

At 23°C / 73°F, the Live View mode can stay switched on for a duration of approximately 2 hours, or 1 hour 40 minutes at 0°C / 32°F.

Movie Shooting Time
    With a fully-charged LP-E10 battery pack, Canon quotes the following approximate durations:

1. Temperature 23°C / 73°F: 1 hour 50 minutes
    2. Temperature 0°C / 32°F: 1 hour 30 minutes

Other Battery Life Factors
    In the T3 Manual, Canon advised that the battery life and number of shots decreases when:

1. The shutter button is pressed halfway for a prolonged period.
    2. Autofocus is frequently activated without taking a picture.
    3. The LCD Monitor is used a lot.
    4. IS (Image Stabilization) on the lens is activated.

Some lenses draw more power from the camera's battery during operation due to their physical (heavy lens elements that need more power to move) and electronic (type and technology of the IS employed) properties..

Real Name
    Anton

Thanks Paul,
    That is very interesting, especially the IS part. And now i have to redact my original comment.
    My post (over 1000 shots) was using the EF 18-55 kit non IS lens. I now have a Sigma 18-125 IS so i really should test again to see the difference.
    I fear the total shots will be subsequently diminished, Once i get to my 3rd charge cycle (possibly this weekend) i will make a note and report the difference.

Real Name
    Richard

I would expect that the number of shots stated would be the "average", if there is such a thing, of the varied parameters such as frequency of use of the onboard flash, time of image display on the LCD and if you use the display at all for shooting, type of lens used and whether or not the IS is turned on...

I would expect that a lens that physically extends and retracts in focusing may draw more current than an internal focusing lens. It also seems to me that focusing a large and very heavy lens may cause more battery drain than focusing a small and lighter lens... As an example, it stands to reason that focusing a lens such as the 100-400L would cause a greater battery drain than focusing a "nifty-fifty". I may be wrong in this asumption but, it seems logical!

Most of the time, manufacturers specifications are on the generous rather than the conservative side. I cartainly don't have any heartburn over Canon being conservative in their specs. Now, if the camera averaged 1,000 shots per charged battery and Canon claimed 1,200... then I might have a complaint.

I always carry at least one extra battery and often carry two. Battery capacity is not a primary parameter in choice of cameras...