Thread: The Grand Staircase

Real Name
    Frank Miller

The Grand Staircase

The Grand Staircase is part of the 250-room Biltmore House, a French Renaissance-style chateau completed in 1895 and located in Asheville, NC.

Based on the Chateau de Blois in the Loire Valley in France, the Grand Staircase steps are cantilevered with no visible support other than the outside wall. Each step is a solid piece of carved limestone that continues, through the wall to the outside of the house. The weight of each step outside the wall matches the weight of the step inside by using counterbalance so no interior support for the huge spiral staircase is needed.

On the outside of the tower enclosure are hand carved railings, gargoyles and statues of Joan of Arc.

Inside there are 102 spiral steps with an ornate cast-iron railing. The four story Grand Chandelier hanging in the center of the staircase has 72 lights, weighs 1,700 pounds and is held in place by a single bolt.

The Grand Staircase

For images of the inside (we weren't alowed to shoot interior pictures), please see:

http://www.edisonavenue.net/2012/08/...staircase.html

Real Name
    Griddi

Re: The Grand Staircase

Hi Frank,

apart that I find your photo very sharp and very well presented, I found your description of this outstanding building very interesting, and informative, I clicked on the link for the inside, WOW !, wish I could have see this for myself......

Thank you for posting........

Griddi.......

Real Name
    Steve

A shame you couldn't shoot the inside, frank. You did get a nice shot of the outside though.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice image Frank and very informative description of the staircase and how it was built. The same rules apply here at the Ringling Estate in Sarasota, Florida... only outside photographs allowed.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Much appreciated comments Griddi, Steve and Joe!

I'm hoping to be able to post some other images of fascinating details of the Biltmore Mansion.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    ... I find your photo very sharp and very well presented, ...
    As Griddi wrote.

The clarity, on what is some very intricate stonework, is wonderful. Very much something for people to study and learn from.
    Last edited by Donald; 29th October 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Great clarity as expected from a Frank shot.

Regarding no photography rules - it is not as if these place are full of visitors it is just plain bloody-mindedness and ignorance. Protecting a product means lessened exposure and ultimately we see if fade away. Just how many grand old buildings and places have simply disappeared or closed down due to lack of exposure and yet these guys never learn.