Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Expedition-Saturday

Real Name
    randy

The Expedition-Saturday

I have been somewhat remiss on my chronicles from my expedition from the Twin Cities to the wilds of southeastern Minnesota. To bring things up to date - My copilot, Cecil, and I picked up our trusty crew and travelled into forecasts of 100% rain for the entire weekend. We arrived at base camp in Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park on Friday under sunny skies (but a scarcity of appropriate subjects). Saturday morning arrived as forecast, thunderstorms at 6 AM. We were not discouraged as we planned on exploring the hourly tour of Mystery Cave, essentially trading the cool, wet, 46F outdoors for the cool, wet, 46F underground. Always good to have a smart backup! We had a hearty breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage and coffee and set out. The rain had stopped, as it turns out for the full day. As it turns out, I was transported from doom and gloom to a photographic wonderland.

The Expedition-Saturday

Deer were everywhere

The Expedition-Saturday

The Root River carves its way through the limestone on the surface as well as underfoot

The Expedition-Saturday

Cliff Swallows nest in the exposed limestone

The Expedition-Saturday

Wind and drought have stripped the color off many of the trees

The Expedition-Saturday

Only the heartiest of wildfowers persist at this time of year

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Expedition-Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    As it turns out, I was transported from doom and gloom to a photographic wonderland.
    And that is what it should all be about.