Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Where to find info on length of Zoom when extended

Where to find info on length of Zoom when extended

Hi:

is there a website or a link to a Nikon section where the total length of a zoom lens is listed.
    In other words, when the lens is fully extended to its longest zoom.

Greg

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Where to find info on length of Zoom when extended

Try this site. I think its max extended length for each lens but im not certain you can compare against one you own,

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html

Thanks for the website, it is great for a central location to find all the info.

Unfortunately it does not list the extended length.
    I guess photographers just realize it will be what it is and it is not a deal breaker.
    It just appears to me that some zooms extend more then others.
    I guess I have TOO much time on my hands to look for this.

LOL
    Greg

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Just to confuse matters a bit, the pro lenses tend to be internally focusing, so the length does not change when zooming / focusing. This is certainly the case for the f/2.8 14-24mm, f/2.8 24-70mm and f/2.8 70-200mm Nikkors.

I thought that IF for Internal Focusing was related to the barrel not turning while it is extending out for filters like a polarizer.

Is there another marking for what I am describing ?

I have the 70-300 4.5 -5.6 G VR zoom and it lists IF but the barrel extends out (a lot).

Any thoughts.

Greg

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

No, internal focusing means that the lens does not change length while zooming or focusing.

Having a lens where the front element does not rotate, is something completely different. Frankly, I've never seen a camera lens where the front element rotates.

If the barrel extends, it is NOT IF. The f/2.8 70-200mm is a true IF lens. The f/2.8 24-70 is referred to as an IF, but Nikon is not totally honest here and the barrel does extend a bit. If the lens hood is in place, then the length is constant.

Ok this is unusual :

The 70-300 that I have states on the Nikon site and in the and yet the lens barrel extends out a lot:

AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR
    70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
    High-power 4.3x Telephoto Zoom-Nikkor lens approximates the picture angle performance of a 105-450mm lens on 35mm SLR.
    Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization Vibration Reduction, engineered specifically for each VR NIKKOR lens, enables handheld shooting at up to 4 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible, assuring dramatically sharper still images and video capture.
    Two Nikon Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements deliver superior optical performance for both digital and 35mm photography. ED glass minimizes chromatic aberrations, contributing to superb contrast and resolution performance.
    Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet auto focusing without changing the length of the lens, retaining subject-working distance through the focus range.
    Focus as close as 4.9 ft throughout entire zoom range.
    Non-rotating front element provides for convenient use of circular polarizing filters and the Nikon Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System.
    A Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast and quiet auto focusing, along with quick switching between auto focus and manual operation (M/A and M).
    A nine-blade rounded diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural.
    67mm filter attachment size.

Note the IF
    It repeats in the specs:
    Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet auto focusing without changing the length of the lens, retaining subject-working
    distance through the focus range.

In the manual it states : Nikon internal focusing on (IF) system (utilizing an internal silent wave motor), manually via separate focus ring.

And again the barrel extends, confused to say the least.

Greg

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I checked a couple of Nikon sites - US, Canada and UK

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pr...af-s-vr-nikkor

Accroding to the UK site:

"IF (Internal Focusing) design for fixed lens length and non-rotating front element allows the use of circular polarizing filters and lens-mounted flash accessories".

Is it the same lens? The one in the catalogue seems to be consistent with my definintion of IF.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I checked a couple of Nikon sites - US, Canada and UK

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pr...af-s-vr-nikkor

Yes! that is the lens I am referring top that I own and extends out from 6 inches to nearly 8 inches,

Greg

Accroding to the UK site:

"IF (Internal Focusing) design for fixed lens length and non-rotating front element allows the use of circular polarizing filters and lens-mounted flash accessories".

Is it the same lens? The one in the catalogue seems to be consistent with my definintion of IF.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

In that case Nikon has me confused, as they seem to be claiming it is a fixed length lens. That certainly does not seem to be what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    In that case Nikon has me confused, as they seem to be claiming it is a fixed length lens. That certainly does not seem to be what you have.
    I am going to try and get to a family owned Camera dealer who has been in business for 40 years and try and get an explanation and see what lenses do not extend and if there is another icon for that.
    It may take two weeks as it is a long drive and I will wait till I need something else in the area.

Greg

Real Name
    Ken

Some lenses such as the Canon 24-105 has IF, which means that it doesn't change length while focusing, but does lengthen when zooming, whereas the 70-200 is also IF but doesn't lengthen with zooming.
    If you go to
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns=622&Units=E
    Specifications
    then for the Nikon 70-300 f4.0-5.6
    Internal Zoom? / Extends with Zoom? N / Y
    Zoom Extension Length 1.96”
    Internal Focusing? / Extends with Focusing? Y / N

Other lenses are shown in the same website

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    Some lenses such as the Canon 24-105 has IF, which means that it doesn't change length while focusing, but does lengthen when zooming, whereas the 70-200 is also IF but doesn't lengthen with zooming.
    If you go to
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns=622&Units=E
    Specifications
    then for the Nikon 70-300 f4.0-5.6
    Internal Zoom? / Extends with Zoom? N / Y
    Zoom Extension Length 1.96”
    Internal Focusing? / Extends with Focusing? Y / N

Other lenses are shown in the same website
    Thanks for the web site, it is a good one.
    It tells me the info I needed to know, Thanks !

I think what people are confusing is that the barrel does not extend while focusing but does for zooming.

Perhaps I misled everyone, I was asking about extending when zooming.
    I never mentioned it because I was unaware that there are zooms that extend when focusing.

I did not use zooms in the old days (pre 1990's), so I am only aware of zooms extending when changing focal length.

Thanks again for the website

Greg

Greg