Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlightening Journeys

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Enlightening Journeys

Born this evening @ 8:02pm. Photographer and camera doing well

2 minutes @ F22 @ ISO 50 | Canon 1DX - EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM II | Singh-Ray Vari-ND

PS: Click for even bigger version.

Enlightening Journeys
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 24th October 2012 at 12:22 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Enlightening Journeys

Gorgeous image! It's not everywhere that you can find a bridge overlooking a well traveled highway that provides mountains, water and lights from residences and offices in the background. Well spotted!

What's creating the blue lights in the center? Trains?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Gorgeous image! It's not everywhere that you can find a bridge overlooking a well traveled highway that provides mountains, water and lights from residences and offices in the background. Well spotted!

What's creating the blue lights in the center? Trains?
    Thanks Mike

Trains would be interesting -- don't think they'd give way too often though! Nah - it's just road markings along with a white balance that's apparently a little on the blue side!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Gorgeous image! It's not everywhere that you can find a bridge overlooking a well traveled highway
    An interesting point for learning on this (and maybe Colin can confirm) is that it might be a case of 'less is more'. On the right-hand side, coming towards us, I think only 5 vehicles went through the frame. If it had been very busy then what we would have had would just have been a solid streak of light. As it is we have the light making the abstract pattern that we see.

If I'm right, then the lesson maybe is that an option for a light trails image is not to have a very busy highway, but one where you can guess there will only a relatively light traffic.

Anyway, it's still a superbly crafted image.

Real Name
    Patrick

Excellent work Colin, I really like the cloud movement you captured with the fiery sky and the different colors for the car lights is a very nice touch.

You're right, Donald. When I mentioned a well-traveled highway, the term is so relative that it can be misleading. In this case, I thought of it as well-traveled because not only were there a sufficient number of cars to obtain interesting light in a two-minute exposure, but there are multiple cars going in both directions.

Real Name
    Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Born this evening @ 8:02pm. Photographer and camera doing well
    You gave birth to a beautiful baby.

Seriously, the sky is gorgeous in this image. The way you're able to capture all the different lighting is amazing.

Serge

Real Name
    Trev

I am in Lurve with this image, very nicely done

Real Name
    Miltos

Very relaxing, ...although a highway.

Real Name
    Jason

Another brilliant photo Colin. The color in the sky is fantastic. Like I said in your previous thread, Im going to have to have a go at this. I have tried in the past but didnt feel that it spoke to me.

-Jason

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    An interesting point for learning on this (and maybe Colin can confirm) is that it might be a case of 'less is more'. On the right-hand side, coming towards us, I think only 5 vehicles went through the frame. If it had been very busy then what we would have had would just have been a solid streak of light. As it is we have the light making the abstract pattern that we see.

If I'm right, then the lesson maybe is that an option for a light trails image is not to have a very busy highway, but one where you can guess there will only a relatively light traffic.

Anyway, it's still a superbly crafted image.
    Thanks Donald,

Ultimately, there's a "coridoor" that I have to work within, dictated by the intensity of the car lights -v- exposure requirements. Because the lights are moving, the LENGTH of the exposure has no bearing on the exposure OF THE CAR LIGHTS. The only factors that affect the exposure OF THE CAR LIGHTS are the ISO - the aperture - and any filtering - BUT - all of those things also affect the ambient exposure.

So - one has to first work out what the correct aperture / ISO / filter attenuation is for the lights - and then the sole remaining variable is the length of the exposure for the ambient light - BUT - the longer the exposure, the more cars go through the scene - and the more light trails you get. Plus of course the ambient light is dropping rapidly at that time of day.

So in practice its a compromise, but the coridoor widens a little considering that there is some exposure lattitude with the light trails and there's always the options of using either a GND filter upside down or just doing a composite (since there is no movement in the sky / hills portion of the scene).

In this case though, it's all shot in a single frame - just at the right time. In reality it takes a bit of thought - a bit of planning - quite a few bracketed shots - and a bit of luck as well!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
    Excellent work Colin, I really like the cloud movement you captured with the fiery sky and the different colors for the car lights is a very nice touch.
    Thanks Patrick

Real Name

You're right, Donald. When I mentioned a well-travelled highway, the term is so relative that it can be misleading. In this case, I thought of it as well-traveled because not only were there a sufficient number of cars to obtain interesting light in a two-minute exposure, but there are multiple cars going in both directions.
    Hi Mike,

As mentioned to Donald above, the exposure time is pretty much "dictated" to me - so after that it's a fair bit of "luck of the draw"; there can be relatively quiet stretches or relatively busy stretches -- probably influenced by traffic lights much further up the road.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 25th October 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by unmerited View Post
    You gave birth to a beautiful baby.

Seriously, the sky is gorgeous in this image. The way you're able to capture all the different lighting is amazing.

Serge
    Thanks Serge

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Splatsworth View Post
    I am in Lurve with this image, very nicely done
    Thanks Trev

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    Very relaxing, ...although a highway.
    Thanks Miltos

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    Another brilliant photo Colin. The color in the sky is fantastic. Like I said in your previous thread, Im going to have to have a go at this. I have tried in the past but didnt feel that it spoke to me.

-Jason
    Thanks Jason,

Give it a go for sure - they are MUCH harder to do than people think though

Real Name
    Terri

Colin, This is a wonderful photograph! The colors in the sky are gorgeous and the light show is great. I have to admit that I was confused for a second or two with the position of the red and yellow lights. Then I remembered y'all drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

Thanks for the details. This would be fun to try sometime.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Colin, This is a wonderful photograph! The colors in the sky are gorgeous and the light show is great. I have to admit that I was confused for a second or two with the position of the red and yellow lights. Then I remembered y'all drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

Thanks for the details. This would be fun to try sometime.
    Thanks Terri - I'll be sure to drive on the "right" side of the road from now on then

They drive on the same side of the road as we do, Terri. The difference is that everything seems reversed because they're on the other side of the equator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast