Thread: Beaver Dam

Real Name
    Chuck

Beaver Dam

We have had snow for the past couple of days. This morning was the first time that the mountains decided to show parts of themselves. Having clouds in the valley with some or all of the peaks sneaking out above is fairly common. Had hoped for different lighting but enjoyed taking this photo and a couple of others that I will post separately. Click on photo to enlarge. chuck

Beaver Dam

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Beaver Dam

Chuck, a very nice image. Having said that I was somewhat let down in a way when I first opened it. I read "Beaver Dam" which is there but does not stand out to me. I figured it was going to be a more close up shot of a dam. Now as I stepped back a second and looked at the image (which is glorious I might add} I saw "hidden peaks"
    This is not to say you have wrongly named your image...... it is just how it struck me.

Real Name
    Chuck

Darn - how about this dam? I can see where I was misleading.

Beaver Dam

Real Name
    Paul

Yes Chuck, this is what I had in mind having read the first title. While this certainly fits and is a nice image...the other is my favorite.
    For those viewing either of these images....use the lightbox...they are quite a treat.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

I too prefer the first one. Wyoming is definately on my bucket list. My PP skills are minimal but was wondering if there would be anyway to bring out the reflection of the peak?

Real Name
    Chuck

Helen, here is the challenge. Perhaps some of the folks who are really good at PP can show us what is possible. I would enjoy that. - chuck

Real Name
    randy

All I can say is ," dam good darn" !!!

Real Name
    Paul

Well Chuck, I can't say I am a PP wizard.....and it would sound a little funny if someone heard me say it. I am new to LR and need the practice....so...

What I did....With a gradient tool I changed the white balance slightly in the sky only to combat some of the blue, I also desaturated it slightly and dropped the exposure by .12.
    I then switched to the adjustment brush for the water and reflection.....I added a little clearity, brought in a little more shadow and slightly dropped the exposure. I brought up the whites slightly to compensate for dull snow from the other adjustments.

May not be what you are after but it was good practice. Thank you.

Beaver Dam

Real Name
    Chuck

Paul (the wizard), this is very helpful. I intend to play with this image some more and see what I can do. The light conditions were very difficult. This will help me learn to cope with these kinds of conditions. - Cheers, chuck

PS - you made me smile.