Thread: a complaint about CIC!! and that pesky reply to thread button!

Real Name
    Mark

a complaint about CIC!! and that pesky reply to thread button!

Is it just me? When i reply to a thread i type my reply and then i often make the mistake of hitting the "reply to thread" button in the right hand corner instead of scrolling down and clicking on "post quick reply" this results in a new reply form and the loss of my reply.....any chance of greying the button out in that screen mode or replacing it with button that posts the message?
    Last edited by Mark von Kanel; 23rd October 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: a complaint about CIC!! and that pesky reply to thread button!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Is it just me?
    Hopefully we can find out if others reply. Certainly never had the issue raised as a concern previously. But if a number of people find the same issue, it could maybe be looked at.

I get many things wrong here - but haven't done that one yet. But I always scroll down so I start typing at the top of the page and the Reply to Thread button is hidden from view.

Sometimes I go to the top toolbar to select something but always scroll back to finish typing.

But yes, I agree the Post Quick Reply button is rather insignificantly placed.

My common mistake is trying to upload a photo before I have selected it on my hard drive!

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Donald its probably just me! keyboard challenged or what!

Real Name
    Remco

If it's easy to gray out the "Reply to thread" button, I'd be all in favour to do it.
    But that's more from an idea of "if you can reasonably make a mistake impossible, do it". And at least here we can easily go to the advanced editor. Some other boards I'm active on do not have that possibility, and it's a royal pain sometimes.

Real Name
    Kevin

Mark,

I did the same thing several times early in my participation in CiC. I must say that after I lost and had to re-type several fairly long responses, I became a lot more careful and it hasnt been a problem since. I like your compromise: do it if easily done, but it's not worth a lot of effort.

Real Name
    Toņo

It's definitely not just you Mark.

Has happened to me several times... but as Kevin mentions, after awhile I've become more careful on that matter... and now let's click on the blue...sorry, grey button on the lower right part of the screen

Toņo

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Any reply that I do that is more than a couple of lines gets composed in Word and pasted into place. That way I don't lose anything if I hit the wrong button or the web decides to misbehave. If I find that my response is getting too long, I'll paste into Word and continue writing there. The upside is spellcheck catches most of my little errors.

Real Name
    Richard

My only problem is that when I edit a posting, the posting repeats the lat few words of each line in the editing box. When I hit save, the duplicated words are removed. This doesn't bother me that much any more but, when I first encountered it, I was confused...

Real Name
    Dave

Is it just me? When i reply to a thread i type my reply and then i often make the mistake of hitting the "reply to thread" button in the right hand corner instead of scrolling down and clicking on "post quick reply" this results in a new reply form and the loss of my reply
    Definitely not just you! I've done it a few times. I just put it down to old age and incompetence. It would be nice if it were possible to get a warning message, though.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Okay. Thank you for the comments that have been made.

I'll draw this issue to Sean's (McQ's) attention. It may be that there is nothing we can do about it as we don't have complete control over every detail of how the forum appears, but I will ask him to have a look at it.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I'll paste into Word and continue writing there. The upside is spellcheck catches most of my little errors.
    Firefox does spell checking on the fly by default.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Firefox does spell checking on the fly by default.
    I know and run that on my desktop that is downstairs in my office, but right now the only computer that is easily accessible is my locked-build laptop from work running IE8. Heading downstairs with crutches is something I try to avoid.

That being said, I still use Word to edit longer documents on my home desktop.

Real Name
    Mark

Ok i know its old hat but im still doing it!! i really dont understand why there's a reply to thread button just above left of this box where im typing saying "reply to thread" just begging to be hit, even though its going to do anything other than that.... hit it twice this week.... must lay off the cider... but this is cornwall....

Real Name
    Remco

I only see that button at that spot above the editor when I'm already typing a reply to the thread. And it was there, in that exact same spot,
    before I started replying to thread. The editor box just popped up underneath it (at the end of the thread).

Now, if I had decided to 'reply' or 'reply with quote', the editor box would have popped up just below your message, with the 'reply to thread' button
    underneath (perhaps preceded by messages posted after the one I'm replying to).

That button just stays in its place, and an editor box is opened/added when you start answering. Perhaps the buttons could be grayed out when replying,
    but is that really needed? (seems it is... not sure the forum software allows it though)