Thread: My first image

My first image

My first image

Re: My first image

Hi, today I tried to make some images of running water and would like to know your opinion about this image also advises and critic. I want to move forward and make my shots better.
    Thank's

Linas

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by linas View Post
    Hi, today I tried to make some images of running water and would like to know your opinion about this image also advises and critic. I want to move forward and make my shots better.
    Thank's

Linas
    Some viewers like the dreamy cascade of water, others prefer a more natural look. Did the end result meet your expectations? Get to know your camera and lens, determine what the end result should be and go from there. I noticed you used an aperture of f/27, any reason why?

Real Name
    Anton

I would assume to get the slow shutter speed retaining iso100 ? it is quite well lit considering and if shooting iso100 and wanting a slow shutter speed then aperture is the only option (or ND filters)
    I personally really like the image, good composition/subject and nice l/exp.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I noticed you used an aperture of f/27, any reason why?
    I would imagine both to get a slow shutterspeed and also to get sufficient DoF for front to back sharpness, very nearly achieved that too. But I shouldn't answer for Linas

Linas,

Welcome to the CiC forums!

I like the composition, DoF, WB and exposure.

The only thing I would question is whether that bright leaf (lower right) should have been extracted from the scene, either at time of shooting or by cloning in PP?

I don't mind "milky water", perhaps because I haven't "got the T-shirt" yet myself

A very good first image,

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Overall a good image. Perhaps if you were to slightly burn (darken) the brighter area of leaves and rocks and the sky line to leave the bright line of the water as the brightest area. Bright areas draw the eye and you want to force the viewer (I suspect) to concentrate on the waterfall. I agree with Dave about the leaf; another instance of forcing the viewer to focus on the subject and not wander about. Sometimes it is good to have multiple areas of interest, maybe not here.

As an aside: The leaf and dark rock with the milky water in the right lower foreground is a great subject for an isolated shot of these three elements.

Some viewers like the dreamy cascade of water, others prefer a more natural look. Did the end result meet your expectations? Get to know your camera and lens, determine what the end result should be and go from there. I noticed you used an aperture of f/27, any reason why?

This image was taken:
    Canon EOS 60D
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 3
    ISO Speed 100
    Lens 10-20mm
    Focal Length 14.0 mm

No, there was no reason why I used f/27 (it's been chosen by camera). I know I could change it using M mode, but I still do not know how it would change an image, until I try everything and this time I just forgot to do it.
    My answer to your question: did the end result meet my expectations? I can easily say no. That's is why I am here and hope you will be patient with me.

p.s. Appreciate all your comments and advises
    Last edited by linas; 23rd October 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by linas View Post

This image was taken:
    Canon EOS 60D
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 3
    ISO Speed 100
    Lens 10-20mm
    Focal Length 14.0 mm

No, there was no reason why I used f/27 (it's been chosen by camera). I know I could change it using M mode, but I still do not know how it would change an image, until I try everything and this time I just forgot to do it.
    My answer to your question: did the end result meet my expectations? I can easily say no. That's is why I am here and hope you will be patient with me.

p.s. Appreciate all your comments and advises
    Linas,

I asked the question about why you chose that particular aperture because it relats to both your intended results and getting to know your camera. I assumed you wanted an image that was sharp overall and knowing which aperture setting will achieve that will help. As you continue your research on photography, you will find differing thoughts on aperture of the lens and which one will provide you with the best sharpness. Use that information alongwith your intended goals in photography to make your shots better.

Let us know why this image didn't meet your expectations and we can get you started.