Thread: Railroad Bridge

Real Name
    Mitch Ward

Railroad Bridge

I have not done alot with Natural light, I am just not clear how to balance a blue sky and clouds with a darker subject in the foreground.

Railroad Bridge

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Railroad Bridge

Mitch with this image with the clear blue sky and that great Iron Bridge, I tried something and that was I deepened the blue of the sky as there was no constrast there and converted to B&W. If I had been shooting the image I would have had B&W in my mind from the begining. The bridge will stand out well against that clear sky when converted.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Mark

A HUGE flash!! cant think of a way to get this to work in colour other than bracketing and pp.
    Last edited by Mark von Kanel; 23rd October 2012 at 07:58 AM.

Yes, often an impossible task to get the full tonal range in one shot, Mitch.

Sometimes, I get away with shooting for the bright areas then recovering the shadows during editing. But tricky with a complicated scene like this.

Shooting for HDR with bracketed exposures is the only real hope. Providing you haven't got any subject movement, like wind rock on trees etc, and are using a good tripod.

HDR can be sympathetically processed to avoid the harshness which sometimes occurs.

Otherwise, you have done all that was possible at the time of shooting.

Real Name
    Mitch Ward

Geoff, Thank you, I will try the bracketed shots next week and see how they work for me.
    Allan, I did this pp in B/W and it looks awsome, I wanted to streach my comfort zone a little, I prefer B/W over almost anything else..

And Mark, if I can find a flash big enough, I will certainly try it...lol