Thread: At The Top

Real Name
    Phil Page

At The Top

The observation deck of the Burj Khalifa is called At The Top.

Slightly misleading really, as it stands 452 metres above ground level, whereas the tower stands at 828 metres in height! Just Over Halfway doesn't really have the same ring to it!

The observation deck is normally open from 9am until 11pm. However for Eid Holidays they are opening the deck 24 hours a day at weekends. I'm still on Fog Watch, so I thought I'd give it a go at 4:30am to catch night, blue hour and sunrise. No fog, and a poor sunrise, but a nice blue hour.

It's very strange having the deck to yourself at 4:30am, but soon a few more photographers arrived and by dawn it was packed.

I took a number of panoramas - some with my 24-70mm at 24mm, one at 70mm for greater detail and one with my 35mm prime. Interestingly during my 70mm panorama (comprising 20 shots) all bar one shot was perfectly sharp. During the 20th exposure there must have been a distant tremor because all of the light trails from cars during the 8 second exposure were wavy and buildings blurred! I couldn't feel anything while I was up there, but the earth definitely moved!

Anyway, here's the 35mm panorama - it's best to view large, but this size will have to do here:

At The Top

Real Name
    Kenny

Re: At The Top

Stuck for words Phil - mesmerizing, stunning.......... I don't really know where to begin!

Real Name
    Miltos

Wow Phil! Just that I am afraid...

I guess you want to capture this kind of images? Well... can't wait to see them!

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    Wow Phil! Just that I am afraid...

I guess you want to capture this kind of images? Well... can't wait to see them!
    That's it, Miltos

I'll try to get something a little better than those though!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Amazing Phil,

I'd just like to see a little more of the junction in the lower right corner.

Fussy, aren't I?

Real Name
    Phil Page

I know - not possible, I'm afraid, due to the opening I was shooting through

Real Name
    Steven

Simply beautiful.
    Nothing else to say

Real Name
    Nathan

I cannot find the words by which to properly express how I feel about this shot. At base minimum, all I can say is 'Supremely Beautiful'.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Well executed. Another outstanding keeper!

This one, Gotham City, and Hawker Hunter, there great images in a row. Well done.

Real Name
    Bobo

Stunning shot.

Real Name
    Mark

Well i hung back on saying anything about this image, and then when all the positive comments came froward i hung back some more.... Lived with it for a while, looked at it again and again, but im sorry it just looks like so many other night skyline photos that ive seen and it isnt as good as most of the other stuff that youve posted Phil.

im still at work and will be for another 2 weeks and as we only just have access to interweb, i suppose a calibrated monitor would be to much to ask!!! so it could be that thats making this image a little washed out.

anyway im running for cover!

Real Name
    Phil Page

I don't mind at all, Mark!

You're a bit too far away from the action on this viewing deck, and if anything too high. All I can do is shoot it how I see it!

Generally in Dubai visibility seems good from street level, but the beige sandy atmospherics mean you cannot see as far as Dubai airport, let alone Sharjah in the distance. It was an unusually clear morning. Like so many things in life, the view of it is far better than the view from it.

In terms of it being washed out, I'm seeing the same on my crappy work laptop

Real Name
    Sergio

Amazing view and awesome photo, Phil.