Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Patina

Real Name
    Kevin

Patina

Recently noticed an old bench beside and old house, and noticed how similarly they aged and shared their patinas, each with nice texture and muted color. Wasn't sure how best to get them into an image. Here's two version. Would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions, esp. composition and perspective.

Patina
    Patina

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Patina

I much prefer the first one, as the reflection in the window in the second one is distracting. Consider cropping the left side of the first one. There is plenty of texture and color in the remaining areas of the wall to provide support of the bench.

Real Name
    Kevin

Agree about the first being preferable. I have a cropped version of the first as you described, but wasnt entirely comfortable that it was highlighting the patina as well as I wanted. But will certainly take another close look at it. Thanks, Mike for your always carefully considered thoughts.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

If the bench and house patina is what you want to focus on then the first is the better choice. I do like the second picture though for the view into the window and either the reflection or view out the other side, in that case the bench becomes a secondary frame along with the shutters of the view beyond. I think that is sort of neat, looking beyond or the past since it looks brighter and earlier in the year compared to the pumpkins and mums, maybe my fantasy.

Real Name
    John

Hi Kevin,
    These are just the kind of shot I love; they are 'Right Up My Street'
    I too prefer No.1; but love the way you saw the shot in the first place.

Well done.

Real Name
    Terri

I like the first one also because the bench is more prominent and I think it shows its texture better. Also, a more minor point, in the first the pumpkins and flowers seem to be more "in" the picture rather than off to the side.

I, too, am glad you noticed the possibilities here.

Real Name
    Sharon

I love the second one...divine colours and textures.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks all, for your thoughtful remarks. I'm adding one last version, tis one to emphasize the interesting glass behind the glass, with a slight recomposition to move the pumpkins closer to the bench as Terri suggested.

Patina
    Last edited by kdoc856; 20th October 2012 at 11:26 PM.

I like this last version a lot. For me, the window is an attraction in this one, not a distraction. I'd like to see some space on the left to give the window and bench a little more room to "breathe."

I forgot to mention that I really like the grungy style in all of them. Very tastefully done.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, again, Mike , for hanging in there with me on this. Just happened to have a few pixels left over:

Patina

Yes! Yes! Yes! I wasn't even thinking that the bit of yellow flowers on the left would work so nicely with the larger group of flowers on the right.

Real Name
    Terri

Well now I'm on the fence about which I like the best (the very first or the last). I think the last one because I like the colors better, the window is interesting but the bench is still prominent and there's nothing in this picture which draws you away from the main subjects. Great job working through the different possibilities!

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Love the color, texture, grunge, etc. in all of your pictures. I think in the straight on shots you need to maintain some space on top of the window. Having the photo end at the edge of the window seems to abrupt.

Karm

Real Name
    Bobo

I like both. Very nicely done.