Thread: One Image, 2 processes.

Real Name
    Tony

One Image, 2 processes.

Below are 2 processes of the same RAW file. The first was done in Lightroom 4.2, the second in RawTherapee - latest version. I'm posting them to show the neat little trick that RawTherapee can do.
    It has 3 "tools" to correct "Horizontal Perspective", "Verticle Perspective" and a "Lens Correction Profile". The "Horizontal Perspective" tool works as if you have a vertical bar through your image and can swivel the image left or right around the bar. The "Vertical Perspective" tool works as if you have a horizontal bar through your image and can tilt the image up or down. I haven't displayed use of the "Lens Correction Profile" but it corrects - and straightens - horizontal and vertical distortions - e.g. can make rounded picture frames straight.
    Interestingly, the image was taken with a single 100 watt bulb to my right. The RawTherapee correction has adjusted the light as well!

First image - Lightroom.
    One Image, 2 processes.

Second image - RawTherapee. Using "Horizontal Perspective" correction.
    One Image, 2 processes.

I repeat - both these Jpegs were developed from the same RAW image. C&C welcome!

Real Name
    Paul

Re: One Image, 2 processes.

For me the second image is dull and flat compared to the first. A lot less detail in the second and looks crooked. Honestly I prefer the first in every aspect.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I don't particularly care for the colour cast in either image and I do agree with Paul; there is no life or spark in the second image.

I tend to process my RAW images with either View NX2 that came with my cameras or Adobe Camera Raw that is packaged with Photoshop. I do on occasion use Lightroom 4, but my preferred workflow is either using a TIFF file generated by NX2 and if I am in a hurry and not as picky on the results, ACR.

Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    For me the second image is dull and flat compared to the first. A lot less detail in the second and looks crooked. Honestly I prefer the first in every aspect.
    So do I but the post was to display the tool not the image quality! I COULD have taken the first Jpeg and swiveled it a bit to try and preserve the better quality....

Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I don't particularly care for the colour cast in either image and I do agree with Paul; there is no life or spark in the second image.
    That's how they look when lit with a light bulb at 11.30 at night! I wasn't trying to provide perfectly coloured/exposed images merely to demonstrate the "swivel" ability of the RawTherapee tool. And I have no financial or other interest in RawTherapee!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th October 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Real Name
    Paul

I did address the correction, not very eliquently I admit. The crooked part of my comment. The perspective correction is part of what flattened it out for me and it needs rotation, but only parts. The rest was just an observation of the differences in Processing.

Hey Tony,
    The same tools are in LR4.2 also under the "Lens Correction" tab then select "manual". At least I think this is what I understand you to be talking about if not then excuse my post please.

Real Name
    Paul

Tony I am curious as to why the comparison to the LR shot in the first place. I would not have commented on the other things had you just shown one corrected and one not corrected both from Raw therapee. You did also mention that it fixed the lighting as well. This made me think you were comparing the two programs. Which made me also curious as to why you did not fix the perspective in LR as there is a very simple tool there as well. Sorry if I got things confused.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 20th October 2012 at 12:09 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Tony - the perspective adjustment is a pretty common tool. Lightroom, ACR, DxO and Photoshop (especially powerful in Photoshop) all have that feature.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Last time I looked at Photoshop, which was a few versions ago ... CS from memory, I thought it was not nearly as powerful and useful a tool as Warp Mesh which has been in Paint Shop Pro since v.8. [Now v.15] The description of Therapee suggests it is quite limited in what it can do though probably simpler than WM to use.

Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Tony - the perspective adjustment is a pretty common tool. Lightroom, ACR, DxO and Photoshop (especially powerful in Photoshop) all have that feature.
    I've never used ACR, DXO or Photoshop so my bad. Also I've never noticed the same tools in Lightroom until you, Paul and Carl pointed this out. My apologies for re-inventing the wheel! One Image, 2 processes. One Image, 2 processes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    I've never used ACR, DXO or Photoshop so my bad. Also I've never noticed the same tools in Lightroom until you, Paul and Carl pointed this out. My apologies for re-inventing the wheel! One Image, 2 processes. One Image, 2 processes.
    No problem Tony. I am sure there are still many little hidden gems in LR4.2 to be discovered yet. Some day I too will have a better knowledge of this wonderful software. Most of what I do know, which is very little, I have learned through tutorials on Adobe or youtube video's and some from Kelby training video's.

Real Name
    J stands for John

When Warp Mesh arrived in PSP v.8 I remember one commentator suggesting it was worth buying PSP simply for this tool even if one was a Photoshop diehard ... the cost of PSP was no more than many of the plug-ins that PS users seemed to need back then.
    The example is a fairly simple problem and I would probably use the perspective tool for it rather than WM.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 21st October 2012 at 05:57 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    Tony, there are so many tools out there that it is easy to get wrapped up in one. The advantage of software like Therapee (and GIMP) is that they are free. The downside of free software is that it is usually not leading edge.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    I think that is horrible Colin on my unadjusted monitor
    Got a better version?

Real Name
    J stands for John

If I did it would probably not be nice on your monitor

Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Got a better version?
    Colin, that is an abomination. Under a single light bulb our walls are not white and the picture is not blue. Manfred commented that he didn't like the colour cast but that's what our walls look like under the lighting conditions. And when I have commented/modified an image by the OP I've always respected the thread and merely posted a link...................One Image, 2 processes.

I think that Colin was only trying to help and show what PS could do with the image. As you stated in your post;
    " I wasn't trying to provide perfectly coloured/exposed images merely to demonstrate the "swivel" ability of the RawTherapee tool."
    Perhaps that was Colin's attempt and he only adjusted the color on his monitor and meant no harm by it. Something I would probably would have done also. Many folks on here have done it and many OP's were glad they did to show what they were talking about. I know I am one of them and have no problem with it as I am here to learn.
    I must say that you are the first one that I have seen here on CnC to be so adamant about it. I certainly would not want to make any mistakes when posting to your threads.

Real Name
    Paul

I have to agree with Carl here. Most of us are here either to learn, help others learn and/or both. Right from the start there has been a feeling of resistence with bold capitalized words and such. I know the OP did not ask for help, but help was offered when the need was seen. I fear when help is what the OP seeks there will be fewer people willing to offer said help, having read this.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Well there you go folks. My "abominable and disrespectful" edit that I spent an hour on has been removed. Apology herewith offered. DND list updated.

Moving on ...