Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Removal of GGS Screen protector on a 7D

Removal of GGS Screen protector on a 7D

I hope I am in the right section of the forum.
    I have a problem that probably only someone who's had the same difficulty can give me an answer.
    I bought a second hand Canon 7D. The camera has been fitted with a GGS Screen protector. Seems to have done a good job.Despite this, I need to fit a new eye dioptre unit so have to remove it.
    Doing a bit of research on the Internet it looks as though the protector is fitted by just sliding on the eye piece unit.
    However, no matter what I do I can't seem to just slide the protector off despite using a certain amount of force. I am obviously somewhat aware I could do some damge if I am not careful.
    I really could do with some help with this.
    Appreciate any advice.
    alan

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Removal of GGS Screen protector on a 7D

Hi Melrose, if you can find a similar one on the internet, see if they post the installation instructions. That may give you a clue as to why it won't come off. Sometimes things like this have hidden latches that need to be released.

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Alan,

The Canon eyepiece cups have latches. If you squeeze the eyepiece from the sides they release and you can then slide the eyepiece off. Perhaps this protector is using a similar mechanism.

Is it one like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GGS-LCD-Scre...0653123&sr=1-2

I can't find a picture of the back of the protector to see if it does use the eyepiece latches.

Alex

Hi Alex,
    the instructions make it very simple to install. However there are no instructions for the removal.
    the one you posted is the one we are talking about.
    I tried to remove it by inserting a thin credit card (as suggested by someone) under the screen cover. It looks, then, as though it is beginning to do the trick but continues to remain tightly held in the top left hand of the eye-piece. Daren't force it anymore in case I do some damage. Unless someone has actually done it - it seems impossible.
    regards Alan

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Looks like you can use a plastic knife or toothpick according to this link: http://www.cameratips.com/recommenda...reen-protector

In another link they did by... "used dental floss to gently "saw" through the adhesive. The protector came off easily using this method, though it did leave a little adhesive behind, which I cleaned off with a bit of lighter fluid."

Hi Frank,
    The instructions where you use dental floss is for an earlier modelthat used glue to fix itin position. the model I am trying to get off is a GGS 111.It slides in the eye-piece slot when installing. there's no glue. (that's one of its selling points). I've tried to get it off by sliding a plastic business card under it but it still hangs on very tightly at the left-hand top of the eye-piece unit. daren't force it anymore.
    Thanks
    Regards
    alan

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
    Hi Frank,
    The instructions where you use dental floss is for an earlier modelthat used glue to fix itin position. the model I am trying to get off is a GGS 111.It slides in the eye-piece slot when installing. there's no glue. (that's one of its selling points). I've tried to get it off by sliding a plastic business card under it but it still hangs on very tightly at the left-hand top of the eye-piece unit. daren't force it anymore.
    Thanks
    Regards
    alan
    Ah, I see the difference. Apparently it can be a tight fit according to what I've read and some folks have reported the same problem. It is 'supposedly' easy to just slide off. Based on the pictures of your unit here http://www.iphotocourse.com/review-g...nded-eyepiece/ there doesn't seem to be anything preventing it from just sliding off. I don't see any clips that would hold it, just friction (or 'stiction' as the case may be here).

If there is a fair amount of stiction keeping it from moving it would not just slide off but would need a 'tap' to break the stiction, then it should slide freely. It looks like you could slide a credit card up under it and tap the credit card gently with a small solid weight to free the stiction. The key will be in finding a place where you exert a gentle tapping.

Or, you could take it to a camera shop for removal.

Another trick is to put the camera in the fridge to get it cold enough for the plastic to shrink just a bit.

I bet you're a real resourceful guy. I believe you are right. It's just having the nerve for the "tap" (!). I am a bit ham-fisted. I got one card under one corner and another credit under the other. The point of "stick" is at the top left-hand corner. It really does feel tight. Can't see what's holding the sod!
    See you Frank and thanks for the help.
    Regards
    alan