Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: deleting XMP files

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

deleting XMP files

I just finished deleting about 150 photos from inside LR4.
    Some of them had adjustments resulting in the sidecar file.
    After I deleted the photos (Remove from disk) I found that the sidecar files are still there.
    Is there a way in LR that deletes the xmp file together with the actual NEF file, or do I have to delete these files manually?
    Which is a big PIA!

Re: deleting XMP files

Kristianna-Marie:

I've never had any trouble deleting XMP files.

I highlight the photo(s), right click, and choose DELETE FILE(S).

Disclaimer - I'm using Canon - maybe the Nikon XMP are handled differently.

Glenn

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

On a side not, why not just convert the files to DNG format so the image and adjustments are always kept in the same file?

I take it you mean converting to Dng from the original Raw files before any editing, Colin.

Something I keep experimenting with but have found a few slight drawbacks. The conversion time is a little longer. Around 10 minutes for 100 images in my case.

And I have occasionally had some corrupted files during the Dng conversion. But they worked OK when using the 'normal' conversion method.

Probably just a glitch with my computer though. I have more RAM on order.

One advantage with Dng is quite a saving on file size; and no xmp files to worry about, as you say.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    On a side not, why not just convert the files to DNG format so the image and adjustments are always kept in the same file?
    Hm, something to think about....

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    Kristianna-Marie:

I've never had any trouble deleting XMP files.

I highlight the photo(s), right click, and choose DELETE FILE(S).

Disclaimer - I'm using Canon - maybe the Nikon XMP are handled differently.

Glenn
    True - the file gets deleted, but the sidecar file is still there
    I'm not sure if it makes a difference if its a NEF or CR2.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Kris V View Post
    True - the file gets deleted, but the sidecar file is still there
    I'm not sure if it makes a difference if its a NEF or CR2.
    I don't use LR. However, when I delete, move, copy or rename a NEF using either the operating system or other software apps, the XMP file is automatically affected along with the NEF.

Real Name
    Dan

Kris,

I don't see a "remove from disk." There is "remove" and "delete from disk". I just confirmed that on my computer, "delete from disk" deletes both the cr2 and xmp.

Dan

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Kris,

I don't see a "remove from disk." There is "remove" and "delete from disk". I just confirmed that on my computer, "delete from disk" deletes both the cr2 and xmp.

Dan
    Sorry, you're right - it's delete from disk.
    Regardless - When I checked in Windows explorer, the NEF files were deleted, but the xmp files were still there. So, it might indeed be a Nikon/Canon issue?
    Although, I don't understand why that would make a difference....

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I take it you mean converting to Dng from the original Raw files before any editing, Colin.

Something I keep experimenting with but have found a few slight drawbacks. The conversion time is a little longer. Around 10 minutes for 100 images in my case.

And I have occasionally had some corrupted files during the Dng conversion. But they worked OK when using the 'normal' conversion method.

Probably just a glitch with my computer though. I have more RAM on order.

One advantage with Dng is quite a saving on file size; and no xmp files to worry about, as you say.
    Hi Geoff,

Yes. I use Bridge to suck the images off the card - convert them to DNG - rename them - add metadata - and write them to the PC all in 1 operation. Just did a little test converting 100 images ... 2 minutes & 22 seconds

Never had any issues with file / image corruption.

Real Name
    Ben

I have been using LR4 for about six weeks so I am just a beginner. LR does not use XMP files to store changes made to a RAW file. The changes are stored in the catalog. LR will only create an XMP if you export the RAW. What I am getting at is, are these XMP files left over from some other photo editing program?

If you want to find and delete all the XMP files just do a search for ".xmp" (without the quotes) and then you can delete them.

Checking whether xmp files relate to anything current, which you wish to retain, can be a bit tedious unless they are actually placed alongside the relevant Raw file. Which is where dng has an advantage.

And with regard to the time of downloading dng files. I checked today and it took me 30 minutes to download 70 images from CR2 to Dng. Which is 7 minutes longer than straight Raw.

Using a reasonable power dual core computer. But with only 2GB Ram; which was once considered to be excessively large!

Real Name
    Eugen

TIf there is enough interest in this I might have a solution for Windows.
    I wrote a small application using a popular freeware called AutoIt to help me delete the raw files left on the disk after I deleted the JPG.
    I am viewing the JPGs using the default Windows program and I am making my primary selection there - if the jpg is bad enough I just delete it straight away and that leaves as many raw files "orphans".

What my app is doing so far, it checks the files in a folder of your choice for image pairs (jpg and raw) and if it finds raw files without matching jpg, then it either move those raw files to a new folder, or simply deletes them based on user choice.

It won't be hard for me to add a more flexible pair structure (raw and xmp or whatever combination) so I will wait for feedback.
    I'l go into more details if requested.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    TIf there is enough interest in this I might have a solution for Windows.
    I wrote a small application using a popular freeware called AutoIt to help me delete the raw files left on the disk after I deleted the JPG.
    I am viewing the JPGs using the default Windows program and I am making my primary selection there - if the jpg is bad enough I just delete it straight away and that leaves as many raw files "orphans".

What my app is doing so far, it checks the files in a folder of your choice for image pairs (jpg and raw) and if it finds raw files without matching jpg, then it either move those raw files to a new folder, or simply deletes them based on user choice.

It won't be hard for me to add a more flexible pair structure (raw and xmp or whatever combination) so I will wait for feedback.
    I'l go into more details if requested.
    I've never had a problem removing xmp files with Windows Explorer. If I am working in either View NX2 or ACR and don't like where things have gone, I'll close the file and delete the associated xmp file and when I open up the file to eidt ACR and NX2 will create a new sidecar file for me to work with. I find this to be a fairly fast thing to do as a reset.