Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Road to Achnahaird

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Road to Achnahaird

Back from holidays/vacation.

When I was going away last week, I posted up a thread showing the location of one image I wanted to try and make. I explained about it in this thread.

The location I referred to, thanks to Google Earth, was this .............

The Road to Achnahaird

Well, here it is (and if you say the Google Earth image is better then you're not going to be on my Christmas Card list).

I was up at 5am and on site whilst it was still dark. As light began to emerge I could see the shot I wanted coming into view. And then the cloud came down!!!!!!! AAAARGH.

For about 15 minutes the mountains just disappeared. But thankfully the cloud began to lift and gave me my chance.

So, given the challenge I set myself, I think I made not too bad an image. What do you think?

The Road to Achnahaird
    Canon 40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 16 mm. ISO100. 1.5s@f16
    Last edited by Donald; 14th October 2012 at 10:01 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: The Road to Achnahaird

Donald,
    firstly welcome back, I hope you had a great holiday.

This picture is amazing; I'm shocked at how you have captured this picture from a near indentical vantage point as the Google Earth 'Snap'.
    A classic Donald picture if ever I've seen one. It gives me the feeling of a vast isolated area; but certainly a place I hope one day to visit.
    Love it.

Real Name
    Sergio

Actually, Donald, I think the clouds on the distant hills give the image a power and magnificence that only adds to the natural beauty and vastness of the landscape. An inspiring image.

Serge

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Looks good to me Donald. The clouds have lifted sufficiently to give a good view of the mountains but also are still sufficiently dominant to add considerable interest to the image as per Serge's comment. I like the way you've emphasised the sweep in the road in the foreground too.

Your image looks way better than the Google Earth one. (I'll PM my mailing address for the Christmas card !!)

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Great to have you back, Donald! Actually, I can tell that you're standing 3 meters back from the vantage point indicated by Google.

Seriously, in addition to everything already mentioned, I really like the way the road leads to the bright area of the sky. Great job!

Real Name
    Graham

Well what is there to say. Beautiful.

Graham

Real Name
    Paul

Welcome back Donald, you surely made good use of the opportunity. A wonderful image. I would agree you were in very close to the some point as the first image but a little to the right an at a much more pleasing angle than that of which was used by the map maker. Though if like here...their camera is mounted above the vehicle recording as they drive.
    Your perspective is spot on.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 15th October 2012 at 01:32 AM.

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post

When I was going away last week, I posted up a thread showing the location of one image I wanted to try and make. I explained about it in this thread.

The Road to Achnahaird

Well, here it is (and if you say the Google Earth image is better then you're not going to be on my Christmas Card list).

I was up at 5am and on site whilst it was still dark. As light began to emerge I could see the shot I wanted coming into view. And then the cloud came down!!!!!!! AAAARGH.

For about 15 minutes the mountains just disappeared. But thankfully the cloud began to lift and gave me my chance.

So, given the challenge I set myself, I think I made not too bad an image. What do you think?

The Road to Achnahaird
    I think I like it very much !

J

Real Name
    Sharon

How wonderfully atmosperic and yet with such a lightness of touch.

Lord knows how you saw that in the google earth version but so very glad you did.

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice image, great amount of atmosphere here. Well captured.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for your comments.

What I wanted to portray here was what some may describe as the desolation of the landscape, but which I would describe as the grandeur, beauty, enormity, harshness (a whole lot of things covered by these words) of the north-west Highland of Scotland. There are hundreds of square miles of this sort of landscape up there. It is truly magnificent and humbling to be amongst.

And the wonderful thing is that you can get four seasons worth of weather all in one day. I've got some others of clouds swirling about the mountains and others where they are bathed in glorious sunshine (I've even got a few colour ones that I want to work on)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Lord knows how you saw that in the google earth version but so very glad you did.
    I actually had this image in my mind (and another one made from almost the same spot - watch this space) for 2 years, since I last stood there in July 2010 when I spent a few days in Ullapool. I saw the image I wanted, but the conditions weren't right - far too nice and 'summer-like'. In fact I wasn't standing here, I was pretty low down and kneeling and sitting on some very wet and clinging peat. Trousers (Pants) in washing machine when I got back to our rented cottage.
    Last edited by Donald; 15th October 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Real Name
    Terri

Donald, I've been looking forward to seeing the results of your trip and hope you have more to share soon. I think you were very successful in this image. It portrays the grandeur and beauty that you describe and then again the road gives me the assurance that I can safely enjoy the desolation. (hopefully that makes some sense) I like where you placed the road - it's not cliche yet still draws you in.

Real Name
    Louise

The Road to Achnahaird

* Me: Yep, I remember reading your post and looking forward to it.*

The Road to Achnahaird
    -*So I read very slowly today's post, scroling down very slowly, with anticipation, like when one unwrap a favorite treat, holding my breath. Humm, he says it got cloudy, humm, what will it be? And there on my screen it appeared. Big exhale of joy, pleasure. Yes a Donald at its finest. An other surprise:its not a square frame and it works great.Thank you Donald for sharing.*

Real Name
    Frank Miller

The Road to Achnahaird
    It is hard to describe why this looks so much like an Ansel Adams masterpiece but it definitely makes outstanding use of direction and anchor elements, positive and negative 'rivers of' space, and oh my, the clouds and ground hugging mist.

My eye is led down the road and as I soak up the textures and vastness of the scene I don't want to stop. I wish there was a way for my monitor to wrap around to the limits of my peripheral vision.

Real Name
    Tommy

I really love this. It's so moody and sinister. I'd be thinking twice about continuing my journey down that road as the scenery in the background looks so uninviting and spooky! I love the way some of the distant hills and peaks are being strangled by cloud. I think the conditions for this shot were perfect for you.

Your processing and B&W conversion, as always, is very very good and I think the 2:1 ratio works very well here.

Great stuff Donald

Real Name
    Jon

What a stunning image. I don't see it as uninviting at all but would enjoy exploring the distant hills and peaks(we all see something different). The thing that impresses me the most is your vision for the shot you want. Donald, you are an inspiration.

Real Name
    Kenny

Fantastic image and there's nothing I can say that the others haven't already except as a fellow Highlander, what you have captured reminds me of everything I love about our country. Sometimes nature puts on a show for us that simply says "Look at me and enjoy the wonder" and you've captured one of these moments for us all to enjoy. Thank you

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for the additional comments above. I think, Kenny, that whilst there are many photographers who make wonderful images of the Highlands, there is something to the argument that to have, to some extent, the place 'in-your-bones' helps you to interpret and bring out what you want to say about it in photographic terms. Like I've written here before, my photography is 90% feeling and emotion and 10% technical ability.

And it's interesting (and flattering) that Frank mentions the name of Ansel Adams in the context of one of my images, because I think we can suggest that he had a great sense of 'belonging' to the places that he photographed.