Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fire burning in Rocky Mountain National Park

Real Name
    Terri

Fire burning in Rocky Mountain National Park

For those of you following my posts from my trip to RMNP, I thought I'd mention the fire that has been burning there since Oct 9. I was unable to make my plans for sunset shots and my last chance for sunrise shots due to closures as a result of the fire. (of course that's a minor issue compared to the potential damage of the fire) We had driven through the campground and then out of the park to have a late lunch. After lunch, we looked toward the park and saw the smoke. We learned soon after that the campground that we'd just left was being evacuated and roads to the area we'd spent the morning were closed. As of this morning, the fire is almost 700 acres and only 5% contained. We've had way too many fires in the U.S. this season!

The below image was taken in front of our little cabin in the nearby town of Estes Park.

Fire burning in Rocky Mountain National Park

Real Name
    John

Re: Fire burning in Rocky Mountain National Park

Terri,
    This is terrible; a 700 acre fire is hard to imagine to us here in the UK. I know the damage to property must be devastating, but I hope there has been no loss of life.
    My prayers are with you all, keep safe.

With regards to your picture, the plume of smoke, certainly show the size of the raging fire below.
    Well done.

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Fire burning in Rocky Mountain National Park

John, thanks for your note. I should have mentioned that this fire is well within the National Park and does not currently threaten any homes (of humans anyway). Unfortunately, this fire is small compared to the many other fires in the States this summer. The most devastating in Colorado earlier this year was over 18,000 acres and destroyed 347 homes.