Thread: West Ridge Grand Canyon

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

West Ridge Grand Canyon

Comments welcomed.

West Ridge Grand Canyon

Karm Redland

Real Name
    Mark

Re: West Ridge Grand Canyon

Hi Karm, not one of you better images im afraid, it lacks the interest of a focal point, although this is something you can get away with if the scene has a general impact this one doesnt have that either its to washed out, i would certainly crop out some of the sky.

I see what your trying to achieve and with the right light this could have been a good shot, keep revisiting the site, you will get it!
    Last edited by Mark von Kanel; 11th October 2012 at 05:18 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I would like this image a lot if it was cropped to eliminate all of the blue portion of the sky and the white clouds. It then becomes a soft, moody image of layers.

Mark, in this photo I was trying to duplicate the work of many 19th and early 20th century painters who tackled painting the Canyon. If you look at their work much of it has a faded and softer background (i.e. washed look) with something sharply focused in the foreground. Here's just a short list of names if you want to look at these painters: Moran, A Showery Day; Borg, Canyon Scene; Colman, Colorado Canyon; and Polthast (I think it is spelled correctly), Grand Canyon -- I pulled these names quickly of the Web.

I will definitely try your suggestion of cutting back on the sky.

I might have failed in my quest but I wanted to share with you what I was trying to achieve. Sometimes when I take a picture I am trying for a more traditional photographic look and at other times I want my picture to be viewed more as a painting -- I hope this does not sound too arrogant.

Karm

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    I was trying to duplicate the work of many 19th and early 20th century painters
    I hope it helps you to know that the first thing that came to my mind upon viewing your image is the style of American 19th century landscape painters.

Sometimes when I take a picture I am trying for a more traditional photographic look and at other times I want my picture to be viewed more as a painting
    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive; the light, perspective and composition can be the same in both. For me, your very nice image proves my point.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I will definitely try your suggestion of cutting back on the sky.

I might have failed in my quest but I wanted to share with you what I was trying to achieve. Sometimes when I take a picture I am trying for a more traditional photographic look and at other times I want my picture to be viewed more as a painting -- I hope this does not sound too arrogant.

Karm
    Karm I wouldn't say you've failed in your quest. I think the subtle tones work quite well. It's all a matter of personal taste I suppose. I too would crop off a bit of the blue sky and perhaps raise the shadows a bit and bump up the colour saturation just a little. But overall very nice IMO.

Dave

Edit West Ridge Grand Canyon

I tried some of the suggestions offered on this picture. I like it better with the sky cut back. I also added some saturation etc. Thanks for helping me with this photo.

West Ridge Grand Canyon

Karm

Re: Edit West Ridge Grand Canyon

I like the new crop a lot. I prefer the warmer, softer tones of the original.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Hi Karm, I would crop the bottom black section and some off the top to make it better.

I won't bother the group anymore with this photo but I further cropped the bottom, and both sides a bit.

West Ridge Grand Canyon

Karm

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

I won't bother the group anymore with this photo but I further cropped the bottom, and both sides a bit.

West Ridge Grand Canyon

Karm
    For me this works well Karm, and its no bother looking at this very nice image. Well done,

Real Name
    Terri

Karm
    It is certainly not a bother for those of us trying to learn. I like the last crop and you taking the time to post the results of what people suggest helps me learn!