Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning Fog

Real Name
    Kori

Morning Fog

Here are some pictures I took last weekend. I'm still learning how to take these so suggestions are great also!

I'm having a hard time deciding which one is my favorite of all the ones I took, so I have it down to 3 now.

Comments are welcome as always!

Morning Fog

Morning Fog

Morning Fog

Thanks!

Real Name
    David

Re: Morning Fog

Hi Batman44 - I've always found photographing in mist a difficult problem. Sometimes I'm lucky, mostly I'm not. In these images I suspect you've been seduced by the overall feeling of the time and place and the results are probably not quite what you would have wanted. There is some severe clipping in at least one of the images and some not so interesting foreground in others.

But, to my mind, not all is lost! I've taken the liberty of copying your No. 1 image and doing a small amount of work on it. I've cropped it severely to give mainly the tree as the area of interest, then I've done an Orton effect on it. This is partly because I've been posting on this recently, and partly because it feels correct for the subject. Here's the result.

Morning Fog

You could try the technique for yourself on the others and see what you think.

Cheers

David
    Last edited by David; 11th September 2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Image didn't show.

Real Name
    Kori

That looks very nice! Would you care to elaborate on "Orton Effect"? I don't know what that is?????.....
    I've seen the posts but never read through them to be honest. I will take a peek, it's most likely something my software doesn't do, but I will see and try to do some homework on this.

Thank you Very Much!

Yes, it can be difficult to successfully transfer a foggy scene from eye to camera. I've failed many times.

The first image gets my vote. To me the others look a bit like an exposure problem.

Just one slight criticism with David's version. I would crop a fraction tighter on the right hand side to remove a very small area of tree which I find distracting. Otherwise an excellent idea.

Real Name
    Kori

Well, I did a Google search for my software (Corel Paint Shop Pro)and you just have to love the internet!

I tried the Orton effect with the first one and it was darn close to yours David! You have a tad more light in yours, but mine was a quick one and I'm sure I can play with other settings too.

My question now is: #2 and #3 - is it impossible to do the same thing? I tried and the trees in the foreground of the picture went all black!!!! I can't use the "curves" slider yet.... I really really mess things up when I try that! If you think it's possible, please let me know how to brighten up those darn trees!

There is always a retry - just not sure when... hard to time the fog and being up there that early again!

Thank you again!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Kori,

I think that #1 would probably have worked better as a vertical shot, with the tree on the left, and the path on the right.

As a rule (or guide) a "vertical" or "horizontal" orientation is often determined by the orientation of the lingest lines in the image, although sometimes you just have to try both - or at a minimum - spend some time looking through the viewfinder and consciously asking yourself "how will this look when it's printed" (which isn't as easy as it sounds because you have to allow for the small view / lack of detail in the viewfinder). Generally, if it looks good in the viewfinder it'll look even better in print (or on your screen).

Real Name
    Kori

Thanks Colin!

After I read your reply I looked at the picture and agree 110%!! I cut the top of the tree off

I've been trying really hard to figure out horizontal and vertical! Most of my weekend pictures I took were of both so I could decide which one worked better. I guess waking up early has it's disadvantages too

Photography misty scene is always appealing to me, but challenging. First shot has a very nice color, but I think the upper part is probably over exposed. Maybe you would need GND to balance the light.

Real Name
    Kori

Thank you Yan. I agree that it looks a bit over exposed as well

While I'm used to getting up early - 5am about - I'm not used to actually paying attention for about 2 hours!! Didn't expect to wake up to fog... I was all excited and just grabbed the camera and tripod and went outside! This was my first attempt at fog, so I wasn't sure how to expose it, next time...I'll know a little bit more! Great ideas here for my next time up there...hope there is fog again though

So much to learn, so little time! ha ha

Real Name

I've struggled with fog and rain too -- it looks great to the human eye, but unfortunately when photographed it tends to just translate into an image lacking contrast, where the more you push the contrast - the better it looks - and the more you push the contrast the more the fog disappears ...

... so you just can't win, although Yan's award-winning shot from a few weeks ago (with the horizontal panoramic crop) is one of the best examples of fog "working" that I've seen in a while.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 12th September 2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added link to Yan's award winning shot

Real Name
    Kori

Honestly I can't imagine you struggling with getting any shot you want! You are true with the contrast - I found out quickly!
    Problem with practicing on Fog is that you can't really Plan ahead for it. Our weather forecast can give us about a day or two notice that it "might" be present in the morning. Those mornings are usually the work week Who knows when I will be able to practice this again?? But when the opportunity arises I will be a little more prepared.

Thanks again for the extra help on such a tricky shot - never thought it would be that hard!

Yan's shot is perfect! Must have the knack for Fog

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by batman44 View Post
    Honestly I can't imagine you struggling with getting any shot you want!
    LOL - I wish!

Real Name
    Kori

Suppose it's human nature to want more than you have... I want your talent and you want more talent!

Real Name
    Ali

Suppose it's human nature to want more than you have... I want your talent and you want more talent!
    If only we could all go to Nelson, NZ for a 10 day workshop, just watching him in the field...

Disclaimer - did not take the time to read through all of the posts in this thread.

that said - image 3 - there a black foreground "line" that my eye is not keen to.
    Orton is a perfect compliment to image 1 as shown by David - I m ay of even boosted the blur a wee bit more to give it a undoubtedly dreamy effect. Good suggestion, David!

Now, I am curious what effect an infrared treatment would give your images!

Keep experimenting!

Real Name
    Kori

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    - image 3 - there a black foreground "line" that my eye is not keen to.
    I agree, , I'm still learning how to do all this stuff - and not sure what settings to be used for best outcome. Practice and Learn!

Now, I am curious what effect an infrared treatment would give your images!
    I do not know what infrared treatment is... guess it's time for another google!

Thank you!

Real Name
    Kori

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    If only we could all go to Nelson, NZ for a 10 day workshop, just watching him in the field...
    That would be up there with winning the lottery!!!!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    LOL - with 12 minute exposures on the like of "Lone Tree Vista" about all you'd see (with a torch) is someone pacing back and forth - listening to music on his iPhone - and thinking "are we done yet? are we done yet?".

I have made one discover that significantly adds to the overall pleasure of the event though ...

... flight mode on the phone (absolutely no calls from the kids!)

Real Name

That would be up there with winning the lottery!!!!
    LOL - a 10 day workshop with me - plus $5 - would get you a ride on a bus. Oh wait - hang on - you can get that for just the $5 (no need to do the 10 day workshop!).

Real Name
    Kori

You have buses to ride there.... hmmmm.... we don't here.

That means I get a 10 day workshop for only $5!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast