Thread: The Elk - Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

Real Name
    Terri

The Elk - Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

We're still on our trip. My sunrise landscapes will probably require HDR processing. Until I get to that, here are some Elk pics that I was fairly happy with. C&C encouraged!

#1 As we were arriving - middle of the afternoon. I liked the composition on this one.

#2 I took a lot of pics of this male and learned a lot about anticipating what the light will do because most of the pics had shadows cast across the face by the antlers. This was the only one that I felt worked.

#3 Day 2 we found elk when it was pitch dark and then again in the middle of the afternoon. This time, there were 2 males in the same pasture and another off in the distance bugling.

#4 Same time as #3. This is my favorite. I love the pose of the male bugling over his females - and the females indifferent as they graze. Had to do a somewhat square crop on this one to crop out another doe's back end. It's really difficult to get pics of herd animals with focus on one animal without getting half animals, especially rear end shots.

Real Name
    Chuck

Re: The Elk - Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

Terri, these are very nice shots. I like the second and fourth the best. The look over the shoulder in the second shot is very nice. And I agree that the fourth is quite special. You have encountered two of the problems that go with shooting wildlife. You must take the photos when the animals are there, and that can result in difficult light and often isolating individuals or groups of animals from a herd is a special challenge.

In the fourth shot the faces of the females are not easy to see and IMO that is not important. The bull is in focus and his position over the females is all that is needed. I hope you have similar satisfying results with your sunrises and sunsets.

Cheers, Chuck

Real Name
    Paul

Well done and I must say I am envious of your trip! I look forward to seeing more Terri. The second is outstanding.

Real Name
    james

Super set! 2 and 4 for me!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You're clearly having a great time and it's wonderful that you're sharing it with us. #2 and #4 are also my favorites. The rack in #2 is really special.

Consider giving the rack in #2 more space on the left.

Notice the grass in #1 and #2. I'd like the grass to be that way in #4. It's distracting to me. Try darkening and/or desaturating it a bit. Not a lot, just enough to allow the animals to be showcased.

Real Name
    Terri

Thank you Chuck, Paul and James for your compliments. We have had so much fun the last few days and I have so many pictures to process when we get home!

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks, Mike.

I agree that more space on the left of #2 would be nice but there is a cow's shiny rear at that edge. The original composition was close to this but I cut out a small amount of grass on the bottom and the partial cow on the left. Because I did a square crop, there is more empty space still available on the right but I didn't think it was needed.

I'm glad you pointed out the bright grass in #4. I toned it down in several pictures but apparently missed this one. I will fix that for sure.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Marvelous! Number 2 does work indeed. A lovely rack displayed. From the looks of the rack in number 4, this bull has faced a challenge or two!

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I agree that more space on the left of #2 would be nice but there is a cow's shiny rear at that edge.
    If it's not practical to digitally remove it in a reasonable period of time, I hope she understands how rude she was to get in the way of your image-making.

Real Name
    Joe

Wonderful images Terri, as Paul wrote... I am envious of your trip. I like them all, well done.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks Frank & Joe for your comments. It was very interesting watching these animals during this season.

Mike, I tried to tell those cows to move but they just weren't going for it.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Terri,

Good series, but I have nothing to add in C&C terms to what Mike and others have already touched upon and you have answered.

Overall a series to be proud of; much better to crop where necessary (even if it leaves the framing 'sub-ideal' than leave those cow bums in shot

I guess "rack" is what I'd know as antlers here in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I guess "rack" is what I'd know as antlers here in the UK?
    In the U.S., we call it a rack of antlers with the short version being "rack."

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks for the compliments, Dave.

Real Name
    Jim Abbott

RMNP is one of my most favorite places. But the last time I was there, I wasn't into photography, yet. Maybe next year or so I will make it back. I love your pictures of the elk.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks, Jim. I hope you get to go back. It's been many years since I'd been there too. The Pine Beetle infestation that's killed so many trees has really affected the landscape. We weren't there at the best time for landscape photography - too late for good fall color but too early for snow. But it was the only time we could fit it in this year. Good time for the elk as the bulls are in rut but that's been going on a bit so it is possible to catch that activity along with the good fall color. I think we'll be going back next year in the spring for better color in the landscapes.