Thread: Today's Ramble

Real Name
    randy

Today's Ramble

Today's Ramble

Sandhill Cranes

I captured this shot from work van, tried to approach and they were gone. I gotta work on my stalking skills, how do you approach skittish things?

Today's Ramble

Turkey

I was a little wiser; when flock flew across road, I waited and then followed in van to the edge of corn field

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: Today's Ramble

'....how do you approach skittish things?'

Let them come to you.
    Be there before they are, and stay still, quiet and blend in with the background.
    Then 'BLAM' dinner (or a nice photo).
    Graham.

Real Name
    Paul

That is what makes them fun Randy. A tough thing to do once you have pulled in with the van, as they see you coming. When I stalk...it is slow, low and broken by periods of just setting still once they have noticed me. Turkeys are tough but even tougher to find in these parts. Good captures...keep at it.

And Graham makes an excellent point if you can find were they might be, before hand.

Nice job Randy. If there is food for them to eat they will be back you just have to get there early and take root.

Real Name
    randy

The turkeys were easy, it was just a question of positioning the van so that I could see over a berm. The sandhills were a different story, in the middle of a plowed field with no cover what so ever. As soon as I stepped out of the van they were gone. There will be other opportunities, they are massing just north of my location