Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: For comment, please

Real Name
    Pops

For comment, please

This is one which I particularly like, althuogh it is not technically the best it could have been. The pilot noticed I was out in my back yard taking his picture, so he altered his return route to pass directly over my head. Three passes enabled me to get some very nice shots.

I will not be doing any editing on this one, as the contest in which it is entered requires straight from the camera, except for branding.

Pops

tff1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 10th September 2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: add image inline (but no time to comment now sorry)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: For comment, please

That reminds me of a funny story during my flying days. I'd arranged to meet a collegue at the airport to take him for a bit of a flight around the city. He worked for a company who's initials were CMC ... and there parked right in front of us was one of the types of planes as captured by Pops above (Ag Cat if memory serves me correctly) - and it's registration just happened to be ZK-CMC ...

... so I was having him on about how "I'd secured access to the company plane" for his flight!

(I generally prefer something with 3 or more extra seats, and 1 or more extra engines!)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    (I generally prefer something with 3 or more extra seats)
    In case you need a snooze?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Pops,

Planes and wires don't generally mix too well, but I guess that, and the sun glare, is what makes this shot a bit special.

Is that a dust bunny or an inconsiderate insect that flew into shot on the right?
    It's a shame you can do anything about it now.

Regards,

Real Name
    Pops

I'm not sure what that spot is, but I suspect a water drop. It doesn't show on any other shots with that lens or any other lens. On'y that shot. hmmmmm I thought at first it was a sun dog, but it doesn't quite fit the reflective angles to be that.

When I have had 'frozen' propellor blades, I have managed to give them a bit of motion blur by drawing a selection losely around them and adding a bit of radial blur. I did each blade separately so it did take a bit of time though. Especially with a 4 engined plane.

The alternative is to slow down your shutter speed; but whenever I have tried this I ended up with a blurred plane as well.

Real Name
    Pops

I purpossely shot that at high shutter to freeze the blades. When they were blurred, they covered more of the nacelle of the plane than I wanted. If you look closely, you will see just a tad of blur on the main prop, but none on the pump driver prop.

Pops

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    In case you need a snooze?
    Nah - I can snooze in just 1 seat! (AutoPilots are wonderful things)