Thread: Fun with new Canon SX50HS.

Real Name
    Edwin

Fun with new Canon SX50HS.

Not bad for a little point and shoot, it's certainly surprised me.

Real Name
    Edwin

Re: Fun with new Canon SX50HS.

Here's an action shot I took yesterday at Bribie, with the Canon SX50HS.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Edwin,

Now this is interesting, didn't know it was out - and it shoots RAW I gather.

I got the Nikon P510, with 42x (24 to 1000mm) a few months ago, it doesn't shoot RAW

How good is the AF compared to a DSLR?
    Where these shot at the 1200mm equivalent?

They look good to me.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Edwin, I have the Canon SX40HS and noticed that this upgrade was both slower shooting and had a larger minimum aperture at zoom. I can't tell from the specs if the trade-offs are significant or not and I haven't seen any 'real world' reviews. Hopefully you can fill us in on how well this unit works for you. I am certainly happy with the SX40 and don't know if the extra reach would be worth the upgrade but having RAW capability is really tempting!

These images look great but I didn't see any EXIF data.

Real Name
    Edwin

G'day Dave & Frank.......
    Some info that may help you with your queries.
    1/ The Skiff data is as follows......Shutter speed 1/400sec, f8, ISO 80 & focal length 114mm.
    2/ The Seagull......Shutter speed 1/1000 sec, f7.1, ISO 125 & focal length 215mm.
    Can't wait for the Adobe Raw update, so I can try the cameras Raw setting.
    A software CD with Raw editor came with camera, but I'd much prefer to use the Adobe Elements Raw editor.
    For me, this is a little gem of a camera & should be very popular amongst photographers around the globe.
    Cheers.......Ed.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Edwin, the crop factor for the SX50 is reported to be 5.6 (same as the SX40) so the skiff would be at ~640mm (FFE) and the seagull would be at the full 1,200mm (FFE)?

Both of those are really sharp, particularly the seagull, at those zoom ranges! I am VERY tempted to trade up from my SX40 as it has only a puny 840mm zoom!

As Canon is using the same DIGIC 5 Image Processor that produces RAW for the Rebel T4i and other Canon cameras so I would have thought that it would be covered by Adobe by now. Apparently you would need Adobe's Camera RAW 7.1 which is available as a download for CS6.

Real Name
    Noel

hi Edwin. Much better than "not bad". Camera specifications also look impressive. Only just released so you must be one of the first kids on the block to own one. - Noel

Real Name
    Edwin

Sunset taken at Villenueve today with the Canon SX50 HS.

Last edited by Edwin Harvey; 8th October 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Real Name
    Edwin

Another sunset taken with the Canon SX50 HS.

Oh Wow, wonderful shots... I have been researching this camera and waiting to see reviews... I really like the fact that it shoots raw and of course those wonderfully long ranges... I think perhaps you just cinched if for me.. thanks for the info... keep sharing please:> The only thing for me I would love to see on it.. is being able to connect a external shutter release.

Real Name
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    Oh Wow, wonderful shots... I have been researching this camera and waiting to see reviews... I really like the fact that it shoots raw and of course those wonderfully long ranges... I think perhaps you just cinched if for me.. thanks for the info... keep sharing please:> The only thing for me I would love to see on it.. is being able to connect a external shutter release
    Trina.......Camera has capability for external shutter release. You have to purchase that separately though, as it's not supplied with the camera. Shouldn't cost an arm & a leg though.
    Cheers........Ed.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th October 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I also liked that it has a hot shoe allowing an off camera flash use too (without optical slaving)

Ok so now I am totally sold on it lol Thanks for letting me know that Ed. Now I just gotta save my pennies;>

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Ed,
    Wow! What beautiful photos! They are so sharp! (Specially the seagull).
    You did not take the pictures in RAW? You took the photos directly to JPG?
    How good is the AF compared to a DSLR?
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Edwin

G'day Antonio.
    Yes indeed mate, that one of the Seagull is very sharp, probably one of my favourites & the auto focus is very fast for a compact.
    I take all of my images in JPEG with this camera at present. I'm waiting patiently for an update for the Raw editor from Adobe, which hopefully won't be too far off.
    Ed.

Real Name
    Edwin

No worries Trina, my pleasure to assist. I have just ordered the cable release for the SX50; RS-60E3, which you probably already have in your kit. Save up all your pennies & let us know when you make your purchase, with images posted.
    Ed.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Edwin, nice photos. I really like the lone seagull photo. I also use a point-and-shoot and love its convenience, low weight, shoots in raw, gives me full control over aperture etc. Have fun with your new toy.

Karm

Real Name
    Paul Gurdin

Hi Edwin Thanks for sharing your photos. I am eagerly awaiting the release of this camera in the UK. Just querying, the seagull photo at full zoom; how far away was the subject from you when you took the photo? and has the image we see been cropped at all or is it "straight from the camera"? Look forward to hearing back.

Hi Edwin !
    Very nice photography with SX50 indeed. I've got the same camera and having fun around just like you. Do you have any idea about whether a 48 mm or a 50 mm polarizing filter fits in or not; or it is necessary to apply a filter adapter?

Real Name
    Richard

This seems like the perfect addition to a DSLR for times when I might not want to carry a DSLR with me. I like Canon cameras and also like that the Canon SX50HS has RAW capability and that it also has a hotshoe. I would not want a camera that doesn't include an eye level viewfinder. This one has an electronic viewfinder. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. How efficient is the electronic viewfinder?
    2. Does the shutter lag (time between pressing the shutter button and acquiring the image) cause any problems with moving subjects?
    3. Is the camera considered at all weatherproofed? If not, no problem, there should eventually be a small plastic cover available.
    4. Does the camera have Auto Exposure Bracketing capability? Note: DXO Lab review states that the Canon SX50HS has AEB at 1/3 stop intervals. Does it have the capability (like the Canon DSLR models) to, when burst mode is selected, fire three bracketed shots and then stop until the next time the shutter button is pressed?
    5. When using the filter adapter for 67mm filters (I have a couple for my 70-200mm f/4L IS) does the filter rotate when zooming of focusing? I am thinking about using a CPL filter....

I tried to convince my darling wife that the SX40 (prior to the release of the SX50) might be the camera she needed but she preferred a llittle Canon Elph because of its size and its pretty pink color

I could envision carrying this camera with me virtually everywhere. Some folks (like my wife) might consider his too big of a camera for that kind of use but, after carrying a pair of 1.6x cameras with two lenses, the Canon SX50HS seems like a tiny piece of gear.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 8th November 2012 at 03:54 PM.