Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photoshop/PSE vs Gmail

Real Name
    Richard

Photoshop/PSE vs Gmail

When I edit an image in either Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop Elements 10 it is brighter than when I view the same image in windows or when I send the image in Gmail.

I do calibrate my monitor but, somehow I don't think thatcalibration of the monitor is my problem because I am viewing both image in the Adobe programs and in the windows programs on the same calibrated monitor.

Real Name
    John

Re: Photoshop/PSE vs Gmail

I use PSE8 and a program called ACDSee and I get the same results. ADDSee does not allow you to change color profiles, where as even a simple program like Adobe Reader allows you to make this change.

Real Name
    Gary

Richard,

When you say 'windows programs' do you mean that you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer(IE) as your browser to access Gmail?. If so it might be worth trying another browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to see what, if any difference they make. I am sure that there was a response in another post saying that Microsoft IE was giving indifferent results when displaying images.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I do calibrate my monitor but, somehow I don't think that calibration of the monitor is my problem because I am viewing both image in the Adobe programs and in the windows programs on the same calibrated monitor.
    Hi Richard,

Although you are using the same computer, each program has to choose to use the monitor profile that you have created. If the program is not colour managed then it will not use the profile. The image will then look different on the same computer.

I trust Photoshop to be using the profile. I would not trust many other applications. Unless they are known to be colour managed then you can assume they are not.

Try using Firefox to view your image. It is colour managed for all profile tagged images. You can set it up to be colour managed for non-tagged images too (i.e. those assumed to be sRGB web default). I recently discussed this with another Windows user in this thread:

CS4 image does not match screen appearance?

See if that helps.

Alex