Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Inspired by CIC

Real Name
    Kenny

Inspired by CIC

Inspired by many of the flower images on CIC, particularly Sharon's, I bought the wife a bunch of roses (brownie points!) but put one in the airing cupboard to dry out. (two birds - one stone!)

The attached is my first attempt and I would really appreciate feedback on what I can do to improve, including cropping as despite having played about quite a bit, I couldn't get any real satisfaction in the balance between the hessian and the leaves so simply opted for a closer crop putting the rose more or less in the middle of the frame. I quite fancy adding some textures etc in a similar way to Sharon's but don't know where to begin.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Inspired by CIC

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Inspired by CIC

Hi Kenny
    Ok, nice idea putting the rose in the airing cupboard it's turned out well. The photo ...
    firstly I think too dark, maybe use a diffused flash or put in next to a source of natural light (a window would be perfect) and use a piece of white card to reflect some light back into the shadows, in my mind the rose is a delicate object and personally I would try to light it that way.
    the rose is really nice, full of texture and looks wonderfully ... old (wish we had airing cupboards here in France), all the foliage in the background I think detracts from the image and I would be tempted to do some pruning to lose the foliage and focus attention on the rose ..
    the hessian background is a really nice idea, not sure I wouldn't like to see it in focus - the two textures against each other could be interesting. To do that you'd need to step down your aperture to get some depth on field and you will probably need to be square on to the rose and the background (looks like you took this at an angle judging by the fall off in focus and size of the hessian weave as it disappears out of frame right)
    Essentially then, more light, smaller aperture (you may want to use a tripod as the small aperture could put your shutter speed down past advisable for hand holding) and less foliage - if it doesn't draw attention to your rose or complement it then get it out of the picture. Don't be afraid to spend some time setting the image up, in the past I've used cotton, blue tack, wire and gaffer tape to force the subject into the form I want - takes a little time and I've occasionally got some flack from my other half for turning the kitchen into a makeshift studio / disaster area.
    Look forward to seeing the results - now to find a rose and make an airing cupboard

Real Name
    Kenny

Re: Inspired by CIC

Thanks for the feedback and advice Paul. I'll certainly take this onboard and do some daylight shots. This was was shot at night with only a desk lamp as the light source from the side and diffused with some baking parchment. Camera was set up at f5.6 with shutter speed of 2 seconds to try and capture a warm feeling. I think you're right about the leaves so will look for alternatives. I like the idea of wire to hold it in place against the hessian.