Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: That Golden Moment

Real Name
    Allan Short

That Golden Moment

The sun came up behind me over my left shoulder, I had a feeling that it would give me something special, the rest of the group were shooting 90 to 45 degrees off the sun to catch the colours. Someone looked over their shoulder in my direction and called out,"look over here", the next thing there are 12 more cameras all wanting to shoot in my direction, but I already had the choice spot, and had already been shooting for about a minute. Sometimes the choice shot is not in the direction everyone believes, when you go with the herd your images look like the rest of the herd's, sometimes it pays off to be the different one.

Cheers:

Allan

That Golden Moment

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: That Golden Moment

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    ....sometimes it pays off to be the different one.
    It certainly does. And for that you need to have not only the vision to 'see' the image but, when ina group, the confidence to follow that instinct to be 'different'.

The only question I'd ask is whether we need as much of the land/foliage at the bottom and left-hand side? I wonder if the line/curve of the river and those saplings become a more dominant feature and the overall image more balanced if you make it a 7:5 ratio, starting from the top right-hand corner, with that tallest sapling on the right being placed on the vertical 'thirds' line.

Just one suggestion for an alternative way of presenting the image.

Real Name
    Kenny

Lovely image and I agree with Donald that less is more with this one in the cropping and it would make the amzing coulours even more "special".

Real Name
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Coinneachmhor View Post
    Lovely image and I agree with Donald that less is more with this one in the cropping and it would make the amzing coulours even more "special".
    Allen, I agree with what was said already. Great angle. It is a fact that Canada has beatifull autumn colors, and the pass quickly, so great shot!

Real Name
    Sergio

Allan, I can't comment on the composition, but I will say that it's a beautiful image. The colors and all the elements throughout the image make it appear, to me, more like a painting rather than a photo.

Beautifully done.

Serge

Real Name
    Allan Short

Donald: I took your suggestion, of a 7x5 crop option, however it did not work for me, what I did do was go with a 16x9 crop. This removed the lower portion of the image, now in the lower right hand corner the lake is entering the image and sweeping through with the trees in the area of the left and lower thirds lines.

Cheers:

Allan

That Golden Moment
    Last edited by Polar01; 5th October 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Aded the new cropped image

Real Name
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Donald: I took your suggestion, of a 7x5 crop option, however it did not work for me, what I did do was go with a 16x9 crop. This removed the lower portion of the image, now in the lower right hand corner the lake is entering the image and sweeping through with the trees in the area of the left and lower thirds lines.

Cheers:

Allan
    Alan, did you possibly forget to post the image?

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

I agree with Serge: it looks more like a painting then a photograph -- which, in this case, I like. Your picture makes me want to be there.

Karm

Real Name
    Allan Short

Louise I did forget to repost the cropped image, someone phoned just as I was planning to leave the house. You should be having some wonderful colour in your part of the country, my daugther Shannon is coming back for the weekend from Montreal where she is a teacher. Hope to see some of your colours soon.

Cheers:

Allan