Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Iceland: The only waterfall Manfred didn't see :)

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Iceland: The only waterfall Manfred didn't see :)

Fagrifoss is out in the middle of practically nowhere on the southern part of the island except that it's just steps from the Ring Road, which is the main highway that encircles the island. Even so, the waterfall can't be seen from the highway, which explains why I would be willing to bet on the accuracy of the thread title.

I would love to spend hours walking up this little stream, as I'm sure there are other beautiful scenes along the way. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do that. Even if I had had the time, I don't know about laws and possible restrictions about walking on private land in Iceland.

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Iceland: The only waterfall Manfred didn't see :)

What a gorgeous setting and wonderful capture of it! I'm really drawn by the color of the water and I like the shutter speed you chose on this one too. I'm so glad you've shared so many of your photos from this trip!

There is real action in that water. Crisp and well exposed.

Real Name
    Bruce

I agree with Terri and Geoff. I like the sharp action of the water and the deep colours contrasting with the white water.

Thanks, everyone! Considering that you like the scene and treatment so much, I'm happy to offer my wife's version (post-processed as always by her assistant). She used the same concept as I did but used a shorter focal length and I think to even better effect. I do hope, though, that you folks give me points for convincing her to get out of the car and to bring her camera. Otherwise, she wouldn't have even seen this scene, much less photographed it.

Real Name
    Sergio

Mike,these images are great. As has been said the colors and detail are fantastic. I must say, I favor the one by your wife. There is a greater view of the falls and the surrounding country side. For me it really adds to the overall impact. Now on the other hand, my wife walked by and took a look at both and said she likes the first better. She feels it has a more intimate charm and can imagine herself being there enjoying the beauty.

So you see, two great images that both have an impact depending on your point of view. Job well done, you two.

Serge

Serge,

Tell your wife that your and my vote outnumber her vote. You won't get that chance to win with her often so take advantage of it while you can.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Both images are excellent in my opinion. Although that are of the same scene, they are two different compositions, both quite pleasing.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Both very nice Mike. I think I actually prefer the wider shot

Sometimes it can be difficult to choose between a wider and narrower shot because they are just different !

Dave

Real Name
    Miltos

In this case I prefer the tension the tighter composition creates but also the wide one is nice since it gives a more detailed description of the place.

Just to be difficult, Mike, I would like to see the wider scene, but shot at F11 like your first image instead of shooting at F4.

Real Name
    Dave

Both excellent shots, but sorry Mike, your wife's one is the one for me, though I would have liked to have seen more of the line of the ridge and cliffs.

Dave

PS Mike, is your wife a member of CiC?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Just to be difficult, Mike, I would like to see the wider scene, but shot at F11 like your first image instead of shooting at F4.
    [sarcasm mode]You're SO difficult, Geoff.[/sarcasm mode]

You're right of course that F/11 would have been ideal were it not for the impracticality of it on the camera she was using. Her shutter was at 1/1250 to ensure that the action of the water would be stopped and she was using a polarizer for obvious reasons. That necessitated increasing the ISO to 800, which in my mind is the practical limit of noise on her camera. (Considering that I post-process her images, I get a vote in the practical amounts of noise that are allowed in her images. ) If she had used a smaller aperture, the ISO would have had to have been higher or she would have had to have used a slower shutter speed and risk getting some blur in the water. She has a difficult time viewing the details in the LCD such as whether or not the action of the water is being stopped, so she goes on the safe side with her settings when it comes to these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    is your wife a member of CiC?
    Unfortunately not, Dave. Despite that she has come to like people very much who I initially met online and later get together in person, she refuses to participate in any online forums.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I thought that foss looked familiar, it was the clear bright light, and clear sky with some clouds in it, that had me fooled. Ours was rain, wind, mist and flat sky. Here was the best I could do. You wife (with some help for her assistant) got a lovely shot, really like it with the hills and sky in the background, it gives a sense of what Island is all about.

Cheers:

Allan

Allan: Definitely a different scene of the same area with a dramatically different mood.