Thread: Empty but for one

Real Name
    Sergio

Empty but for one

This room at the San Jose Mission fascinated me. The emptiness except for the lone table at the end, the textures on the walls, and the light on the floor from opposite open doors. There is just something about it I like.

This is a simple BW conversion using my raw converter. All I did was check a box and the program did the rest, so there is probably more that could be done.

Your C&C welcome.

Serge

Empty but for one

24mm, iso 400, f8, 1/20

Real Name
    Dave Smith

Re: Empty but for one

I don't do a lot of B&W anymore. I went through a phase in my film days and got really used to using colored filters to separate grays that would otherwise blend together.

In your image, I like how the different color stones in the arches show the differences in B&W. This might have been luck from your description. However, I think that the table at the end gets lost. I'm wondering if there were different color adjustments that would have made the table slightly lighter toned than the wall behind it. This would have required that they were different colors in real life... Also, there interesting pattern and textures in the stones on the floor. Different color adjustments (and exposure settings?) might have shown that a bit more.

Separately, I looked at the image before reading your description and didn't even notice the table right away. My attention went to (first) the arches, then the bright spots for the doors on each side, then the texture on the walls, then the light bulbs in the hanging fixtures. If the table could have been lighter in tone, that might have helped me go there sooner.

Still, I like the minimalist composition.

Real Name
    Sergio

Dave, thank you for your detailed reply. As you can tell I'm new to this.

You make some very interesting points about different color and exposure settings to the table and stone floor to perhaps squeeze some more from the image. My raw converter is Aftershot Pro which does allow different layer adjustments. I will try toying with selecting different areas, adjusting, and see what I can come up with. There is so much more to be done post processing and I have a lot to learn.

Your comments and help is appreciated.

Serge

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Sergio, I too like your composition. Dave Smith has some good advice.

Real Name
    Ron Lane

I like this, nice.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Serge,

I don't think the table has to be the most important part of the image. Perhaps it is in the color version, so perhaps you want it to be that in the B&W version. You might want to post your color original.

The first thing that I see is the bright light on both sides. You'll probably need to tone that down if you want the other features, especially the table, to grab the viewer's attention quicker.

Real Name
    Sergio

Ken and Ron, thank you for your comments.

Mike, yes, you're right. The table does not have to be the most important part of the image. I gave the photo that name for lack of anything else (don't ask me the names of my kids ).

I've posted the color original. Is the light still to overpowering? Will it help if I tone it down?

Thanks.

Serge

Empty but for one

Real Name
    Miltos

Sergio the composition is marvelous and I really think that BW fits here. There is probably space for PP enhancements.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Now that I understand the table is not important to you, I see no reason to tone down the light entering from the side. Just the opposite, I think that's an interesting part of the image.

Real Name
    Sergio

Miltos, thank you for your comment. I'm sure there is space for enhancements; it's just a matter of getting the right programs and learning how.

Mike, thanks for your input and guidance. I also find the light to be one of the most intersting aspects of the image.

Serge

Real Name
    Dave Smith

I liked the B&W version. I also like the color version, although for slightly different reasons. The stones in the two archways really become even more dominant, especially because the rest of the image is nearly monochrome. The repitition of them is evenly spaced which creates rhythm moving my eye in and out of the image.

A funny thing, in the B&W version, the uneven placement of where the lights came down from the ceiling bugged me a bit. The emphasis shift to the arches softened my attention on that!

Again (and still!) nice image.

Real Name
    Sergio

Dave, thank you for your response and your comments.

I too like both, also for different reasons as you do.

I've been trying out some of the pointers you gave me in your first response. It's been slow going and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing but I'll learn and get the hang of it.

Thank you again for the feedback. You and the others who have posted have been a help and inspiration.

Serge

Real Name
    Richard

I like this image. Sometimes less is more!

Real Name
    Sergio

Richard, thank you for your comment. It's appreciated.

Serge