Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bobo............I found your ducks!!!!

Real Name
    randy

Bobo............I found your ducks!!!!

I am still experimenting with the "new" Sigma 400 f5.6. This was handheld with high ISO. I clearly have work to do, but I am finding it to be very similar to macro work (except flowers can't fly away).

Wood Duck

Marsh Wren?

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Bobo............I found your ducks!!!!

Oh that is where the male went to... Have not seen him all summer.
    Nice shot there.

Not sure about the 2nd but does look like one. Focus seems a bit off. What is your focus point setup?

Real Name
    randy

Not sure what "focus point setup" is, but in this situation due to lack of contrast ....aging eyes, shaky arms and manual focus. I am still learning to use this lense, I have a habit of pushing parameters both shots were ISO 1600 and f5.6. I suspect f8 may be more appropriate and lower ISO (not to mention a tripod)
    Last edited by rtbaum; 30th September 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Real Name
    randy

Silly question perhaps.... but how close should one be for a sharp photo requiring minimal cropping?

Real Name
    Bobo

Sorry, I should have explained. Do you use all focus points on your camera or just the one in the center?

As for sharpness - it can be had at any distance. f8 is usually a good starting point. As for minimal cropping the target has be filling you frame at the minimum focusing distance of your lens. You don't really need to crop at all provided you are 100% satisfied with the composition. But does depend on how big/small the target is.

Real Name
    randy

I used center focus, likely due to my obsession with macro. I will try to get out today and find time to experiment with other options. I have a tendency to leave many functions of the D90 as set from previous shoots. I have much to learn it seems, but I do have fun!

In regards to 400mm, I do think it is a shame it was discontinued. The real nit against it is that it seemingly does not like Canon, it has a problem with freezing up I believe in the lower end models and frequently loses autofocus functionality. My recommendation...If you have a Nikon and are lucky enough to find a clean later model (Sigma 400mm f5.6 telemacro), give it a look. It is a hell of a lens. Now if only I can figure out how to fit it in my kit bag!!!