Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: South Coast Sunset @ Birling Gap

Real Name
    Tommy

South Coast Sunset @ Birling Gap

Had a lovely day today on the South Coast (of England) with my wife

Stopped off at Birling Gap on the way home to watch the sunset and took a few shots. Here's one I've had a little play with in ACR and CS6.

Would appreciate any C&C.

Nikon D90 || Nikon 18.0-105.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm | f/11 | 2.5sec | ISO 200

Thanks for viewing

Real Name
    Sergio

Re: South Coast Sunset @ Birling Gap

Fabulous image, Tommy. For me, everything works well together. What a nice place to watch a sunset with your wife.

Serge

Real Name
    Tommy

Here is a photo that my wife, Katherine, has forced me to post...

As you can see we had an extremely romantic time enjoying the sunset, a couple of hundred feet apart!

This was taken with her iPhone 3g and she would also appreciate C&C (I think she is humouring me now!)

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Stopped off at Birling Gap on the way home to watch the sunset and took a few shots. Here's one I've had a little play with in ACR and CS6.
    A classic image with beautiful leading lines to follow!

This was taken with her iPhone 3g and she would also appreciate C&C (I think she is humouring me now!)
    I love the way the blue in the sky bleeds through to a multitude of tonal ranges. There is a fair amount of noise in the sky so you might want to see if you could do a bit of noise reduction for her and retain those beautiful colours.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 30th September 2012 at 04:43 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Tell your wife that it's a terrific image considering that it was taken on a device that can be used to talk to people.

Your image is really terrific. The detail in the beach is absolutely spectacular.

Consider using a tiny brush to erase the sharpening (the halo) at the top of the cliff.

Real Name
    Philip

Tommy, you have captured an attractive image of what looks to be a place well worth visiting.

However, if the image were mine, I would want to make a few changes. Firstly, to desaturate the magenta in the image to give a more natural range of tones. Secondly, to crop to a more landscape format (so that the transition to shingle begins in the corner), to immediately draw the eyes along the shore-lines into the distant depths of the image rather than downwards onto the shingle, and it also helps to give a bit more height to the cliffs. Thirdly, the drop shadow border on the left seems counter-intuitive to the light in the image, so it would go on the right hand side.

(PM if you would prefer this image removed.)

Just my opinions, of course.

Philip

Real Name
    Bobo

Great images. Philip's edit is great too.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Here is a photo that my wife, Katherine, has forced me to post...
    So, we have two people in the family with eye for an artistic image. Obviously got the technical problems to which Frank referred, but, otherwise, it's good one. I think the composition is excellent.

Your own one is a magnificent image. I think Philip is maybe onto something with his suggested crop. Certainly worth looking at.

Real Name
    Sergio

I agree, Donald. It looks like we have another talented and skilled couple.

Serge

Real Name
    Paul

Nicely done Tommy, and the wife has done a steller bit of phone work as well.

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks guys for all your replies and apologies for the tardiness of my response!

I like your crop, Philip, and did indeed contemplate this in post. I feel it lessens the effect of the leading lines a bit, but it probably makes for a cleaner image. Thanks for your suggestion.

My wife is indeed quite artistic and has a good eye for composition. Shame she just doesn't have the patience to learn all the controls and settings on the camera!

A note on her artistic side - When she did Art GCSE, her work was so good that she was awarded 100%, almost an impossibility in Art, and was used as the benchmark from which all the other pupils in her year were graded! Impressive, eh?!

Thanks again for your replies and suggestions!

Real Name
    Kevin

We could start a new thread on nonphotographic spouses with a great eye. My wife has ZERO patience for learning the camera, but very much enjoys photography, and lkes to go with me on shoots as an extra pair of eyes (unless I leave before sunrise). She has an uncanny but photographically uninformed vision, and if she says "look at that" I study it for all I'm worth to pinpoint what she saw, and am almost always glad I took the time.