Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bayou Living

Bayou Living

I wanted to capture the quiet of the morning with all it's colors and peacefulness on the bayou. I would like and appreciate all the C & C I can get on this image.
    70mm
    f/8.0
    1/50
    ISO 6400

Bayou Living
    Last edited by Carl in Louisiana; 28th September 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Bayou Living

Carl

I had drafted out the reply below and then inserted the copy of the image I had made.

But I see that in the intervening period you have edited your post. Can I ask - Did you re-work the image and lighten up the building and the land in front of it and along the shore?

Because when I posted my copy after doing what I explained below, the comparison between your image and my copy was showing very little difference. At first I couldn't figure what was going wrong ..... and then I saw you had edited your post.

If you didn't re-process your image, then I'm still left with the mystery. If you did to a re-edit, then it's a case of two great minds thinking alike

My original message in reply to you was.........................

I hope you do not mind, but I felt the best way of explaining my comment was to illustrate it. If you'd rather I didn't post this copy of your work, please say so and I'll take it down.

First thing that struck me on looking at your image, apart from feeling it was a really good composition and was capturing a brilliant atmosphere, was that the area around the building and along the shoreline was a bit dull. I found myself peering into those areas to try and see more detail.

I know it probably was quite dull, but when we transfer that into a picture (remembering that we weren't there feeling the atmosphere), it maybe needs to be a bit brighter so that we can maybe pick up some more detail.

So, working with the GIMP software, I applied a new transparent layer and changed the layer mode to 'Overlay'. The I set the opacity at 10% and brushed over those duller areas with a white brush. In other words, I 'dodged' that area. I didn't just give it one sweep of the brush at 10%, but quite a few so that it ended up totalling quite a lot of dodging (but I would always do it gradually, like this).

Maybe it doesn't make that much difference. But if you click on the image to look at it in the Lightbox and then use the arrows to go between your original and my copy, you can see what I've done.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I didn't see the initial post before it was edited, so...

I think you nailed the look and feel of the scene. The only thing that bothers me is looking through the unfinished building on the left and its bright windows that are so much warmer than the other tones in the scene. (Even the red tones in the sky are the cool side of red.) I would crop it exactly on the far right edge of the bright windows in that building.

Thank You Donald,

First of all I would like to see your edit! It would be interesting to see another view. I did repost the image as it didn't quiet look right. About the two great minds, well there is only one and the other just can't seem to get it right the first time ...lol

I took the image to Nik Viveza 2 and used control points on the water the tree line and the trees next to the building and the yard. All I did was add contrast and structure which brought the details out and lightened the areas somewhat.
    Thank you for taking the time to post a reply.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Carl

I had drafted out the reply below and then inserted the copy of the image I had made.

But I see that in the intervening period you have edited your post. Can I ask - Did you re-work the image and lighten up the building and the land in front of it and along the shore?

Because when I posted my copy after doing what I explained below, the comparison between your image and my copy was showing very little difference. At first I couldn't figure what was going wrong ..... and then I saw you had edited your post.

If you didn't re-process your image, then I'm still left with the mystery. If you did to a re-edit, then it's a case of two great minds thinking alike

My original message in reply to you was.........................

I hope you do not mind, but I felt the best way of explaining my comment was to illustrate it. If you'd rather I didn't post this copy of your work, please say so and I'll take it down.

First thing that struck me on looking at your image, apart from feeling it was a really good composition and was capturing a brilliant atmosphere, was that the area around the building and along the shoreline was a bit dull. I found myself peering into those areas to try and see more detail.

I know it probably was quite dull, but when we transfer that into a picture (remembering that we weren't there feeling the atmosphere), it maybe needs to be a bit brighter so that we can maybe pick up some more detail.

So, working with the GIMP software, I applied a new transparent layer and changed the layer mode to 'Overlay'. The I set the opacity at 10% and brushed over those duller areas with a white brush. In other words, I 'dodged' that area. I didn't just give it one sweep of the brush at 10%, but quite a few so that it ended up totalling quite a lot of dodging (but I would always do it gradually, like this).

Maybe it doesn't make that much difference. But if you click on the image to look at it in the Lightbox and then use the arrows to go between your original and my copy, you can see what I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I didn't see the initial post before it was edited, so...

I think you nailed the look and feel of the scene. The only thing that bothers me is looking through the unfinished building on the left and its bright windows that are so much warmer than the other tones in the scene. (Even the red tones in the sky are the cool side of red.) I would crop it exactly on the far right edge of the bright windows in that building.
    Thank You Mike,

First it is a home that is raised up to prevent high water (during hurricanes water levels can reach 12-15 feet or higher) from getting into the living quarters. Folks were home and stirring about and thus the lights being on inside. I felt it gave a feeling of life there.
    The red clouds were on the pinkish side of red and probably just a little darker than what I saw. If I cropped out the home then it would not be what I was after "Bayou Living" or maybe I should have called it "Living on the Bayou"?

Thank you for the C & C as it was valuable to me.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    First of all I would like to see your edit! It would be interesting to see another view. I did repost the image as it didn't quiet look right.
    Carl - This is it. as I wrote above, all it was was a very simple dodge to try and lighten up those areas I thought looked dull. Your re-worked image as now posted in post #1 is a much better than a) your original and, b) this re-work of mine. You have more contrast in your image.

Bayou Living

Thanks Donald! Gimp seems to work very well. I guess I could have saved some money on software. Live and learn.

Now I remember what else I did. I hit the luminance and detail sliders in LR4 as the noise level was a little too much for me and that seemed to give it that richer look.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice shot and well processed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Nice shot and well processed.
    Thank You Bobo,

I was going in to try and catch up with that kingfisher again when I turned and looked over my shoulder and saw this shot. BTW the kingfisher did not show this morning and will have to resume the hunt next week sometime. One day he and I will get it together.

Real Name
    Terri

It's a beautiful image and takes me back to visits there. I think you did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    It's a beautiful image and takes me back to visits there. I think you did a great job.
    Thanks Terri,

I am just starting to feel a little better about my PP skills. I went from one extreme to another and still bouncing around a little.
    What part of Louisiana did you visit? I ask cause when along the coastline scenes like this are common as you probably know.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    If I cropped out the home then it would not be what I was after "Bayou Living"
    That makes a lot of sense. That being the case, I would like to see more of the home and whatever the steps on the left lead to (perhaps a second home). My point is that perhaps there are better angles to shoot the scene to tell the story of bayou living. If so, hopefully you can also find such good light as in this image.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. That being the case, I would like to see more of the home and whatever the steps on the left lead to (perhaps a second home). My point is that perhaps there are better angles to shoot the scene to tell the story of bayou living. If so, hopefully you can also find such good light as in this image.
    I tried to get as much of the other home in it and it took away from the bayou. I guess I need to revisit the spot with the 17-55mm lens and that would work. Just will take some time to catch the light, clouds and skies close to the same.
    I have been going over there to try and capture a kingfisher back in the marsh and have not succeeded yet so will be in the vicinity again and next week.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Very interesting Carl. When I first noticed this thread I felt it needed some punch but didn't want to add negative, particularly as I didn't know what kind of a look you were shooting for.

The next time I noticed it, the image was far more interesting so I took the time to explore not only the details of the scene but also the comments in the other posts. Very well done. Now I want to get out and explore the area!

Real Name
    james

Ilike the pastel ish colors you were able to capture, looks serene and a very enjoyable view for a morning cup of coffee..

Thank You Frank,

For your kind CnC!
    I have thick skin and negative in the right way is good. I feel I need to know where my failures and short comings are to fix them. Most all of the time others can see them better than I can. So the sooner I hear what is wrong the sooner I improve over all, I hope . Long way of saying go for it! lol
    Your welcome to join me any time I love exploring!

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Very interesting Carl. When I first noticed this thread I felt it needed some punch but didn't want to add negative, particularly as I didn't know what kind of a look you were shooting for.

The next time I noticed it, the image was far more interesting so I took the time to explore not only the details of the scene but also the comments in the other posts. Very well done. Now I want to get out and explore the area!