Thread: Onion Tosser

Real Name
    Phil Page

Onion Tosser

'Decisive moments' are always worthwhile to look for when taking street photographs. Here's an example, when two people are throwing bags of onions to each other while stocking up a stall in the early morning.

Light was not an issue, so the metering of 1/400th at f4 was enough to freeze the motion and give enough depth of field for focus on the two guys, while still giving a bit of depth to the image.

A simple black and white conversion with Silver Efex (toned down High Structure (Harsh) with a subtle vignette)

Onion Tosser
    Last edited by dubaiphil; 28th September 2012 at 07:07 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Onion Tosser

You have set such a high standard in your other images and this one doesn't measure up to it for me. The high contrast of the scene (strong shadows and bright sunshine) and the onion tossers being such a small part of the image are problematic for me.

Real Name
    Eduardo Rijo

Nice B&W !!!

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You have set such a high standard in your other images and this one doesn't measure up to it for me. The high contrast of the scene (strong shadows and bright sunshine) and the onion tossers being such a small part of the image are problematic for me.
    No problem, Mike. This is a very different and far more candid type of shot the recent pictures I've been posting. If you try to capture any action in these parts you can't get too close to it, otherwise it stops and the subjects like to pose for more of a portrait. I'm always trying to capture the environment as well, so showing the harshness of the light when people are uncovered compared to the shade of the market doesn't bother me.

Real Name
    Miltos

Phil I am afraid I agree with Mike on this one.