Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Clipping path

Real Name
    Gary

Clipping path

I was scrolling through emails received the other day and one was a job which was being advertised for some freelance work. They were basically asking for some photos to be edited, resizing, colour adjustment and clipping path included. That set my interest going as I didn't understand what clipping path included was? So, I had a quick search around and its seems to be something that is in photoshop that allows you to select part of an image and save separately. Is this correct?

I don't have photoshop but in the interest of adding to my knowledge and perhaps others, could anyone enlighten me and others on clipping path and what it is?

Cheers for now

Gary
    Last edited by oldgreygary; 26th September 2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Title correction

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Clipping path

Clipping path was a new one on me too, Gary.

It seems it is used to isolate parts of an image from the background so the isolated bit can be placed on another background.

From what I've read, and I'm guessing you have read too, it is used quite a bit in advertising where there is a need to show an item on a non-distracting background, or on an appropriate background.

Things like showing a new range of winter outdoor clothing against a background of snow cover slopes without the expense of photographing them in situ.

Though I don't know what "clipping path included" means in the terms of email you received.

Dave

Real Name
    Gary

Dave, thanks for your reply, You've got as far as I got in terms of understanding things. I guess the 'included' part means something like you can save the clipped part as part of the file (jpeg?)

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lillyann View Post
    Clipping Path is the treatment to remove a thing from any type of picture by using an image modifying software program. In Adobe Photoshop we can remove the item from the image or eliminate the background of the important things by utilizing a pen device or Lasso device. The standard procedure of this gotten rid of the item is called the clipping path.
    This is a 7 year old thread. The person who asked the question has not visited this site in almost 5 years.