Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dont try to fix your camera yourself

Dont try to fix your camera yourself

Came across this on the interweb thought u all would enjoy it,

*Achtung!

Alles Touristen und Nontechnischen Lookenpeepers!

*Das kameracontrol is nicht fur gerfingerpoken und mittengrabben. Oderwise ist easy schnappen der springwerk, blowenfusen, und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Der machine is diggen by experten only. Is nicht fur gerverken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseenen keepen das cottenpicken hands in das pockets. So relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Dont try to fix your camera yourself

Corr, that takes me back; this was doing the rounds, waaay before the interweb, in type written form when I was a kid at school, or in my early days in work.

I recall there was another one about not using photocopiers for private use. This was copied and placed above every (new fangled) photocopier in the land.

Those were the days

Real Name

I wonder, do the Germans have a "Ger-english" equivalent?

(not that I would understand/appreciate it)

Real Name
    David

Hi Guys - Yes, I recall the equivalent in the late 1960's when I was working with (then) sophisticated scientific instruments and new-fangled devices called computers. It's the "spitzensparken" bit I particularly recall. Well spotted Kevin.

David

Real Name
    Pops

I remember a similar one when working on a design team for stuff-that-goes-boom back in the early 60s. That one reminded me of one which was circulated during that late days of the War and just after, concerning the proper way to operate a target stand on a rifle range. And several since. They each make me laugh, which is good for the soul and body.

Pops

Because I came from Romania(a non E.U.country before 2007)I was stopped by Swiss
    Police.They asked me about goals of my travel in German,I answered them in English(in my English),then they asked me in German I answer in English again and so on.They
    understood my English very well and understood that me understood German too.In French zone we spoke French they answered in German.All understood what partners said.
    Radu Dinu

Hi again,
    In France we didn't experienced such situations.My daughter spoke French but when I spoke in English(I have no practice in French but understand it)they answered me in their English but in English.
    Radu Dinu.

Real Name

Hi Radu Dinu,

I think I haven't explained this very well and it is obviously not easy for you with English as a second or third language. I'll try to explain, but I hope I don't make it worse, or offend anyone on the way.

These humorous (to first language English speakers) paragraphs of text were invariably written in German, but designed to be read as English! It seems there is enough similarity of certain words between the two languages and knowledge of the German language for these to be understood and due to what I am sure may be a few liberally sprinkled fictional 'words', found humorous. I don't feel this is making fun of the German language itself, far less than the occasional publication of people's spelling mistakes in exams or the silly things they write on car insurance claims. To give an example; "I reversed onto my driveway and collided with a tree I don't have", the unstated implication being it wasn't their driveway!

Who started this thread and got me into all this bother? ... oh, KEVIN, I might have known

i like this thread

Hi
    Dave,I understood from the beginning first topic story.German French and English despite of the appearances have many in common.Two of them with Latin too.My story tried to,underline that.Inever criticize someone for the ignorance in one foreign language.I love
    this topic very much!
    Radu Dinu

I like this one from JFK:

"I am a jelly doughnut" (Ich bin ein Berliner)

Good for him Kennedy didn't speech also in Hamburg or Frankfurt!

Das kameracontrol is nicht fur gerfingerpoken und mittengrabben. Oderwise ist easy schnappen der springwerk, blowenfusen, und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Der machine is diggen by experten only. Is nicht fur gerverken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseenen keepen das cottenpicken hands in das pockets. So relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

I recognise this. Its an extract from the English version of the BMW 5 Series owners manual. This section explains activation of the cup holder. Needless to say I used a Blackberry for sat navigation

This reminds me of a TV programme hosted by Eddie Izzard the Mongrel Nation. Eddie is sent to Friesland to buy a cow using only old English. The modern native farmers understood his rambling with out any problem.