Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: sidmouth sunrise

Real Name
    Mark

sidmouth sunrise

not the best pics in the world, but i got woke up at 6 this morning by the kids, arghhh, so after going back to bed for 5 mins thought i might just get up and catch the sunrise.
    well got there just in time so not any time for taking a few to check lighting, but got a couple of not bad ones.
    was great to be here before everyone else, nice and peaceful.

sidmouth sunrise

sidmouth sunrise

sidmouth sunrise

Real Name
    Steve

Re: sidmouth sunrise

I wish I lived in Sidmouth; I mostly don't sleep and are freezing come 6am. I wished, I wished.

Something here is very photogenic and even so think the first shows exceptional skill and vision. Can't beat it.

Real Name
    Mark

thank you for that steve, yea its not a bad place to live, we have a lot on our doorstep, jurassic coast and all.....even though it should be Triassic here,lol.

These work well but I'm wondering about a very slight crop of the last one to reduce the amount of beach. Maybe cut the area of beach in the bottom right corner by half?

Not sure how to take a balancing side crop though; possibly just lose that part building on the left.

If the beach was brighter I would leave it alone, but it just seems a little overpowering at the moment.

Real Name
    Mark

thanks for commenting geoff, i could make the foreground lighter, but ill try a crop for ease first

sidmouth sunrise

That is just about what I was thinking, Mark. But which do you prefer?

You could possibly go a fraction wider I think. But not much; about the size of a gnat's wotsits at most.

Real Name
    Mark

hmm, to be honest im easy any way, i see advantages over both, so not to sure, anyone else have any feedback on it? which one is better?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think Geoff called it right and the second version is a much better image. Why?

For me, the impact of the crop is to give much more emphasis to the buildings and to hill rising high behind it. I also think it makes the sunlight along the bottom of the cliff a more integral part of the image. In other words, I feel the crop has got rid of the extraneous stuff and focused attention more on the real key parts of the scene.

Real Name
    Mark

well if you put it like that donald,....your right
    i think its hard sometimes to have a critical eye on you're own work, thanks for your input guys.

Real Name
    Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by darknight View Post
    hmm, to be honest im easy any way, i see advantages over both, so not to sure, anyone else have any feedback on it? which one is better?
    I wouldn't say one is better than the other. It's more a matter of personal preference. I myself like the first one. Something about the all encompassing nature of the shot showing how vast the entire area is. Not that the first one doesn't, but I just see more with the first. My 2 cents worth since I do tend to be compositionally challenged. Either way it's a wonderful shot.

Serge

Real Name
    Mark

thank you for commenting serge, yep its all about personal taste really, but the comments help