Thread: Reflections from Lake McDonald, MT

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Reflections from Lake McDonald, MT

Here's my next installment from Glacier National Park in Montana. Sunrise over lake McDonald. My favorite is #3, sadly it's a bit soft due to a slower shutter speed / no tripod. The combination of visible rock bottom with the tree refections creates a strong feeling to me. I'd appreciate C&C on the exposure and crop applied, and of course what ever comes to mind

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Re: Reflections from Lake McDonald, MT

I like the first one, it's balanced and moody. The second one is nice too but the sky is over-exposed and do you happen to have a view where your standing up to show the rocks leading into more of the water? I'm not a fan of #3 and 4, but this is a nice series.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Kdfrank View Post
    My favorite is #3, ............ The combination of visible rock bottom with the tree refections creates a strong feeling to me.
    I'd agree with you, but for the fact that I think you have taken this looking up (or is it down?) the lake rather than straight across. What that means is that the shoreline is running at a slight angle upwards from right to left. I think that creates a bit of imbalance. If you had been facing at 90 degrees to the far shore then it would have been straight, which I think would have give an more harmonious finished article.

For me, the pick of the set is the second one. I know that, as Mavourneen says, the sky is right out at the edge so far as exposure is concerned (I don't think there is much that's actually blown), but I think the image can take it. I think it's a very good composition and the tones all work well together.

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Thank you both for your feedback! Mavourneen, here's an image I posted last week of the same beach with a little more elevation. I made some recommended changes to the crop, per Donald. Sorry, no shots at eye level...I think I was in the "show it to you from a different perspective" mode that day

Real Name
    Tommy

Hi kerry,

My favourites are #1 and #2. Full credit to you for getting there so early to come back with these great images.

Thanks for posting!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

My favorite is #1.

I would like #2 more if the two reflections of the white sky that appear at the far edge of the rocks were removed.

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Thank you Tommy and Mike, I appreciate your comments!