Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: View at Blue Mesa Reservoir near Gunnison, CO, USA

Real Name
    Terri

View at Blue Mesa Reservoir near Gunnison, CO, USA

Taken on the side of the road, traveling with another couple, so I didn't have a lot of time. This reservoir is the largest body of water within the boundaries of the State of Colorado and is about 20 miles long. Right now it is extremely low.

#1 My only regret is that I cut off the edge of the mountain on the left. I was concentrating on the rugged part on the right and was zoomed out as far as I could but I might have been able to back up far enough if I'd caught it.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: View at Blue Mesa Reservoir near Gunnison, CO, USA

Very interesting shots Terri. This country has a sort of eerie feel about it and that comes out well in your photos. Colour and exposure are spot on IMO.

Nicely done

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    #1 My only regret is that I cut off the edge of the mountain on the left.
    Given that we don't know it was there in the first place, then we don't miss it.

These are two very fine images, in my opinion. Compositionally, I find the first one a much better image than the second. I think it contains much better lines that flow through the image. In the second one we are faced with a great big chunk of rock (impressive though it is) that creates a very rectangular shape and doesn't have the same flowing line down to wards the left that reveals the background, in the way that the first one does.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I agree with Donald about his first two points. I disagree with him about the composition being weaker in the second version. Instead, I think they are just different, not that one that is better than the other.

Having said that, we all have our preferences and I prefer the second one. That's to be expected considering that I like that style of photography better. I like the increased detail and the fewer number of lines. As an example, I like the increased contrast between the flowing, horizontal, curvilinear lines of the shore and hillsides and the harsh, vertical, rectilinear lines of the mountainside above them.

I also agree with Dave about the eerie aspect of the two images, though I think that aspect is emphasized in the first one more than the second one. I think that's due to the increased number of colors of land in the first one.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 24th September 2012 at 01:04 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

By the way, does anyone wanna find the link to Terri's first landscape images presented here? You absolutely won't believe the same photographer made those first images and has progressed so far in so little time.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Very interesting shots Terri. This country has a sort of eerie feel about it and that comes out well in your photos. Colour and exposure are spot on IMO.

Nicely done

Dave
    thank you, Dave. It is definitely eerie when you drive for miles and see how very low the water level is. This area needs some rain!

Real Name
    Terri

Donald & Mike,

Thank you so much for your comments. I'm really happy that you liked the images. It's always interesting to hear the varying opinions why people like different styles. Myself, I have not been able to choose a favorite as I like them both for different reasons.